Computer Help forum

General discussion

problem going to web sites

I am having a problem lately.If I receive an email from a company advertising their cameras or whatever an you have to click on their ad to get more info I click on but cannot get to the site. I tried rebooting my computer and then I have no problem. This is a pain,any solutions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problem going to web sites
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problem going to web sites
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: problem going to web sites

In reply to: problem going to web sites

Please note that just above the text editor (where you enter a question on the forum) is the following paragraph, and if certain information is not present in your question, our reply may not be of much help:

Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution.

1. The article [Q154036] describes the step-by-step procedure for troubleshooting problems with Active Content in IE such as ActiveX scripts, ActiveX controls, and Java programs when you are unable to load a particular Web page.

2. When you attempt to view a Web page by clicking an Internet shortcut on the Favorites menu, double-clicking an Internet shortcut which may not load (do nothing) or may open a blank separate page, this can occur if the "Internet Shortcut file association" is incorrect, [Q175306]:

3. Reinstall Internet Explorer itself not Windows, [Q318378] or [Q194177].

4. The article [Q177054] explains that when you double-click an Internet shortcut in a Microsoft Outlook Express e-mail message, your Web browser may not start or may not connect to the Web page. The issues are explained in this article as well as the troubleshooting procedures.

5. This behavior may occur if the (Default) value setting for registry keys are pointing to an invalid location for the Urlmon.dll file, [Q281679].

6. The article [Q300443] and suggested reading states that when an attempt is made to execute a link from an e-mail message that contains the <tmeta http-equiv="refresh"...> HTML tag, the redirection does not occur. This article discusses the reasons as well as procedures for troubleshooting the problem.

7. Supplemental reading:

a. "A New Internet Explorer Window Does Not Always Open When You Click Hyperlinks (Q272415)."

b. "OLEXP: How to Configure Outlook Express to Open Links in E-mail Messages in a New Browser Window (Q256953)."

c. "Send To" and E-mail Links Do Not Work Using Outlook Express as Default (Q30609Cool."

Collapse -

In reply to: problem going to web sites

The root cause of the problem could be the cookie (spybot, pop-up ad, et al.) the soliciting company's e-mail is attaching or attempting to attach to your computer. If you have a firewall installed and it is turned on, pop-up blocker software and/or greater than "MEDIUM" set for your Internet Privacy Option...these can help contribute to this outgoing "freeze up" problem.

Next time hold down the CONTROL KEY before "clicking on their ad." This may help solve a pop-up ad related problem. As a second choice, simultaneously hold down the SHIFT & ALT keys before clicking the ad.

If it works, the good news is you can spend money on "cameras or whatever," but the bad news is you just let a cyber-saleperson e-tag and e-bag you. Good Luck.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: problem going to web sites

Thanks for the help so far but nothing has worked.I am operating with windows xp if this is of any help. This problem has only come about in the last week.For instance with my email from CNET when I try to go some of their forums I can't.

Collapse -

Your problem looks to be beyond a first level Windows related interface-with-the-world glitch. The 08/20/2004 9:10 AM Post to you by "Cursorcowboy" seems to have covered the waterfront with possible places to go and things to look at and try.

As John Wayne might say, "Saddle up, 'Puter Pilgrim" and see if "cowboy's" riding tips let you ride that bug infested buckin' XP bronco Bill Gates sold you.

Collapse -

J,

Thanks, I've had a hard day and your
post just made it better.

Tho, I have a question.
Could this inabliity to access certain web sites be caused by a re-direct trojan horse? Or something like New dot Net?

Bill

Collapse -

Part I

WARNING: As always, make sure every utility you use is fully updated.

1. First, please read the article concerning "Unsolicited Commercial Software."

2. Second, perform as a minimum the first five items listed below.

Note: If you try using CWShredder, HijackThis, as well Spybot S&D, Ad-aware and several other anti-spyware utilities and a trojan is installed which prevents their running, download PepiMK's "CoolWWWSearch.SmartKiller" removal tool, uncompress the zip file and run the program.

a. "Housecall."

b. 'Adaware." Your attention is invited to "Unable to Log On To Windows XP After Removing wsaupdater.exe."

c. "Spybot S&D."

Note: Should you perhaps receive a warning similarly labeled "DSO Exploit: Data source object exploit . ., please access the S&D site and read the information at this link.

d. "CWShredder" - 1 or "CWShredder" - 2.

Note: Posting a log concerning #f should only be at the direction of a forum moderator IMO. For your reading pleasure, "Hijack Removal", "Malware Removal", and the Viruses and Security Alerts Forum moderator's message concerning "HiJackThis log postings."

e. "McAfee AVERTStinger."

f. "Hijack This" - 1 or "Hijack This" - 2.

Note: Posting a log concerning #f should only be at the direction of a forum moderator IMO. For your reading pleasure, "Hijack Removal."

3. Please reply to our input that each and every one of the five were used and the result if you require further input.

Part II

1. Hypothetically, you'll find that the S&D Immunization feature entries in the system registry equal approximately 44 lines of addresses and at least that many values. Please note in addition should you decide to un-immunize these addresses, the values are not removed only nulled which isn't a problem -- just stating the fact.

2. Considering SpywareBlaster's feature for Internet Explorer protection . . . and the Restricted Sites protection is . . ., it adds approximately 1,400 addresses and probably that many or double in value lines.

3. If concerned and specifically desire to see an example in your computer's registry, -- I'm only pretty sure it will be there provided the above features have been enabled, and you can step further through the Domains or History or ActiveX Compatibility address(s) on your system to see more. To review the captured information in text file format for the two subjects, use the hyperlinks:

a. "S&D" (The approach for this software instead of detecting or removing targets, it inoculates a computer from executing certain software, stops you from downloading some types of parasite, and stops other things from working)

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\008i.com

b. "SpywareBlaster"

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ActiveX Compatibility\{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History\ad08.focalink.com

Note: "Registry fixes" which you may find useful at the S&D site are:

Spybot-S&D Wizard disable
Spybot-S&D SDHelper uninstall
Spybot-S&D system start run entry (uninstall)
Spybot-S&D full settings removal
Context menu for DLL files (install)
Context menu for DLL files (uninstall)
Internet Explorer Settings lock (install)
Internet Explorer Settings lock (uninstall)

4. Further, I do not know what the circumstances are IF/when using Norton but I assume from the information published that prevent HTML strings and/or specified pop-up or pop-under ad windows items, they are most likely written to the system registry also which may compound situations, "Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall."

Part III

1. Ad blocking using either "Norton Internet Security or Norton Personal Firewall".

a. Blocks ads made with Macromedia Flash

a. Prevent sites from opening specified pop-up or pop-under ad windows

c. Blocks ads by preventing your Web browser from displaying specific HTML strings

d. Does not block text-based or script-based advertisements

2. You can also receive an education concerning the use of "Norton" at this link.

3. This "Symantic" article explains what happens when NIS or NPF has been configured to block scripts, ActiveX controls, Java applets, referral information, or advertisements, and gives help instructions.

4. This "Symantic" article explains that you cannot see a specific Web page or some parts of a Web page when Ad Blocking is enabled, and gives help instructions.

5. This "Error: "Missing file: 'C:\ . . . \DotNetInstaller.exe' cannot access a necessary file . . ." after running WinDoctor."
Collapse -

I am a beginner and have no idea what you are telling me

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) My reply is to ''billzhills''

Collapse -
Re: (NT) My reply is to ''billzhills''

In reply to: (NT) My reply is to ''billzhills''

Thanks for the input,

The question on spy-ware was posted as an invation.
I have seen this happen on many systems. And I felt that the more views on this issue given would help the poster in understanding and resolving this issue.

For me the more views that I have the clearer understanding I have. I may not understand what you said but the next post or several next posts I will. Leading me back to understanding your post and the others.

Again, Thanks

Bill

Collapse -

Thars cyber-gold in dem thar BillzHills. Could be a buckin' Trojan horse or even a "Kill Bill II [Bill Gates SP2]" Windows Pro sequel.

Our e-shopping Cyber Dude/Dudette Gerces appears to have gone e-dark on us. The Cursorcowboy did load an awful lot of cyber vitals on Gerces' plate at CNET's chuck wagon. It's a lot of Billy Beans to digest. Let Gerces nap a bit and dream of Web sales sites visited and digital toys purchased.

Collapse -

what in the hell are you talking about jpoliakon

Collapse -

Morning,

My question of the possibilty of a virus/spy-ware was answered by Ccb and J.

Ccb's post gives proceedures and applications to scan your system with.

Step 1 is for information about Spy-ware. And what may be affecting your browser.

Step 2 is the spy-ware removal applications to run and run order.

Step 3. Log and post each of these's applications findings that you need futher assisatance on.

Ccb has provided a lot of information on these applications and what they do. They all run automatically except for HiJack This. This applications log will have to be Copied and Posted for review by an expert who will determine which entrys need to be deleted.

Did I muddy the waters more or shed some light.

Bill

Collapse -

That's better, I will give it a shot. Thanks

Collapse -

Ok, I waited till this AM and you still got me laughing.

Bill

Collapse -

??????, why are you laughing?

Collapse -

Posted inncorrectly, that should have been posted for J.

His last post suggested that we allow you to go over the information given and re-post the next day. J's 1st post made a bad day better and his next post was even better.
Made the start of my day much better and just wanted J to know.

J, Thanks again for the laugh.

Bill

Collapse -

OK. but I am still having problem

Collapse -

1. Same or new?

2. Virus/spy-ware scans complete?

3. Ccb's 1st post suggested other T/S attempts.
Did you attempt them or do you need help in
understanding the proceedures?

Bill

Collapse -

same problem,I need help understanding the procedures,please and thank you

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.