Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problem getting WinXP to boot up after AVG Scan

by srcmedic / April 14, 2009 6:06 AM PDT

Ok so to start my wife's laptop Fujitsu Lifebook had bunch or "cooties" did AVG scan last night when we went to bed( I saw like 194 items that were supiscious when i went to bed) who knows how many actually on there. Any ways when windows logs on to Admin i put in pw and it goes to a blue screen, and in safe mode it goes to black screen. I can do safe mode with command prompt but only have the command prompt nothing else on screen(except safe mode in corners)
So anything i can put in command prompt? or what we dont have a reboot disk dont remeber if it came with one but am willing to do this too if any one knows what to do.

Thanks
Shaun

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem getting WinXP to boot up after AVG Scan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem getting WinXP to boot up after AVG Scan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
forgotten stuff
by srcmedic / April 14, 2009 6:21 AM PDT

forgot to mention the os is Win XP pro sp3 on Fujitsu Lifebook c2340

Collapse -
Sounds Like System Files May Have Been Deleted
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 14, 2009 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: forgotten stuff

If there were that many infected files, you're seeing the result of important files being removed.. At this point, if you have the Recovery Disc that came with the computer, then place them in the DVD/CD drive and restart the computer.. Hopefully, it will give you options for a "none-destructive" recovery which will save your important file but reinstall/repair the operating system and the pre-installed programs.. If there is no "non-destructive" recovery disc, then you'll need to perform a destructive recovery which will wipe the hard drive of all data, format the drive, then reinstall the operating system and all programs, plus drivers, back to a factory state.

In addition, although I'm not familiar with your Fujitsu model, there may be a recovery partition which is a hidden partition which also contains recovery files.. You'll need to check the manufacturer's website to find the specific F key to press to access the recovery partition, IF there is one.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
recovery cd
by srcmedic / April 14, 2009 12:54 PM PDT

ty grif for your advice I will look for an f key from website. I have no recovery disc and dont remember getting one. So how would i reboot with out one?I dont care about any files on there right now I can do a fresh reboot and wont affect me.

Collapse -
If System Files Were Removed..You Can't Boot Without A Disc
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 15, 2009 10:16 AM PDT
In reply to: recovery cd

If there is no option to use a recovery partition on your computer, then you'll need that disc to boot the computer or to reinstall the operating system, etc.

Although you can try the F8 key at startup, then "Last Known Good Configuration" option as mentioned by the other poster, IF the files were actually deleted, I don't think it will get you anywhere.. The only option is to obtain a disc and reinstall.

Of course, there are methods for actually recovering the files such as removing the hard drive from the computer then install it on another machine as a "slave" where the other computer could hopefully read the information from the drive and copy it elsewhere.. But you still could cause the drive to function as a boot drive until you obtain the operating system or recovery disc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Problem getting WinXP to boot up after AVG Scan
by techservices24 / April 14, 2009 7:19 PM PDT

Please try the "Last Known Good Configuration" utility by pressing F8 during the booting of computer.

Collapse -
k tried these, now what?
by srcmedic / April 15, 2009 12:42 PM PDT

OK so i did the f8 thing and got
Advance Options Menu

safe mode
safe mode/w networking
safe mode /w command prompt
Enable boot logging
enable vga
Last known config
Directory services restor mode
Debugginh mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Start windows normally
reboot
return to os choice menu

I tried all of them and it goes to same screen after to select windows xp pro

select it and goes to the user screen where i put in pw and then the blue screen of death. While on the blue screen i can open task manager so if anything can be done from there plz let me know.
My email is srcmedic1978@yahoo.com if any one has some ideas that cant be suggested here,not looking for anything "illegal" just want to get comp running again as quickly as possible.

Thanks again,
Shaun

Collapse -
Solution Given Previously...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 16, 2009 3:30 AM PDT

..and you haven't mentioned whether there is a Recovery Partition on that machine.. Did you do the research and did you find a recovery partition on the computer? (If you can access the "safe mode with command prompt", the recovery partition is frequently a "D" drive partition which resides on the hard drive.)

Recently, I've had a couple of situations where antivirus tools removed the "C:\Windows\System32\userinit.exe" file.. In both situations, I was able to replace the missing file by using an installation disc.. (One fix involved using an XP disc which allowed me to use the XP Recovery Console and simply copy a "good" version of the file to the appropriate directory.....while the other fix required the computer's recovery disc which allowed me to run a "repair" installation.) Either way, when system files get damaged/removed, you need a method to access replacements files and the general method is to use a recovery disc of some type.

If you truly want to "get comp running again as quickly as possible.", why fight the inevitable?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
user.init.exe???
by srcmedic / April 16, 2009 2:03 PM PDT

k so i think this is the file that got deleted the one griff stated
i found a copy of xp pro that came with home pc and when i do task manager and browse i can locate this file. But when i do the setup it says i already have a newer version installed(home pc is pro sp1 and laptop is sp3) as far as a partition i havnt found one so using any of the advance options i mentioned above is there a way to get it from my cd to appropriate location? and i fight the inevitable? ......because i am a cheapskate Happy

Collapse -
Bingo. I've done this a few times.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 16, 2009 10:15 PM PDT
In reply to: user.init.exe???
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!