Computer Help forum

General discussion

Problem: Front USB ports - no device recognized...

Hello... I'm having a bit of trouble with my front USB ports. My PC is a Compaq Presario model 6430nx (AMD Athlon XP, 2133 MHz (16 x 133) 2600+, chipset VIA VT8375 ProSavageDDR KM266, mobo FIC AM35). I had the main board replaced a while back, and hadn't bothered to check the front usb ports until now. It's a secondary machine, and doesn't get used everyday.

Anyhow - it seems that whatever I plug in to these ports conjures the "device not recognized" message in Windows. System shows that drivers are not installed, and a Windows driver search comes up with nothing. Rear USB ports work fine.

A forum search gave me the idea that unplugging them from the board and not using them anymore was the only solution. But the threads I read were not quite the same issue as I'm having. Plus - it's practically a brand new board. Surely there is some investigation that I should perform before giving up on them.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS - In case it matters... Devices I've tried to use recently include my camera, cell phone (SD card access), camcorder, and mp3 player.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem: Front USB ports - no device recognized...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem: Front USB ports - no device recognized...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you check

In reply to: Problem: Front USB ports - no device recognized...

Collapse -
Thanks for the quick reply!

In reply to: Did you check

That reminds me of an interesting point which I had forgotten. This machine was originally USB 2.0 before the main board died and was replaced. In searching for a replacement (I ordered the part myself and had my local shop install it) I was unable to find a single example of this board that supported USB 2.0. However I seem to recall fishing around within the system info somewhere after I got it back from the rpair shop and finding that the ports were still labeled as USB 2.0. Oddly I cannot find that information now (maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?). Perhaps I'm mistaken and did not actually find that info.

Anyhow... Even though every other spec on this board matches the original exactly, the product description from the seller stated that it was USB 1.0. So given the info above it seems possible that I may have to change the wiring for the front ports from 2.0 to 1.0. Does this seem like the most logical path? Where exactly should I look to see weather the rear (working) ports are 1.0 or 2.0?

Again - thanks so much for your help...

Collapse -
I never trust ports on the motherboard.

In reply to: Thanks for the quick reply!

Collapse -
Again... Thank you!

In reply to: I never trust ports on the motherboard.

That does indeed sound like the best possible solution. The only predicament that puts me in is that I have no available PCI slots on this machine. Though I suppose I could do without the Soundblaster card and just use my other PC for sound fonts. Well... In the words of Jim Steinman - "Let me sleep on it!"

Thanks as always for your help Bob. All the best!

Collapse -
A key here is that you had the motherboard ...

In reply to: Problem: Front USB ports - no device recognized...

replaced. Later in this thread you imply that the replacement board might not be exactly the same as the original (possibly different version of the same series) and I wonder whether ALL the proper motherboard drivers that should have come with the motherboard were ever installed.

I also wonder if the BIOS of the new board is the same as the old or if it might need to be updated.

Collapse -
You don't say...

In reply to: A key here is that you had the motherboard ...

Thanks for the feedback Edward. Like I said above - I compared the specs of the original board (via an Everest report) to those of the replacement I purchased, and they seemed to be identical from what I recall. Other than the USB interface that is. I've noticed no other quirks or issues over the last several months since the board was replaced, and the rear USB ports have worked fine from the get-go. I did look inside the case today and found that the wiring is indeed for 2.0 as suggested by Bob. I also stopped by the shop that installed the board and explained my situation. He remembered me, and seemed genuinely upset with himself for having overlooked such a thing. He even offered to perform the PCI card fix suggested above with no labor charge. However, the only card he had available was a 4 USB w/ 2 firewire card which was priced at $35. Plus the hassle of having to bring the tower in. No thanks...

Anyhow... I think I'm going to go ahead and sacrifice my 2nd sound card and go with the PCI card suggested above. It seems simple enough, and certainly won't cost me much at all. Again - thank you gentlemen for your help. I'll post back if I have any issues...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!