Question

Problem enabling Bitlocker

Hi

I've just bought a samsung RF511 which I have upgraded to Win7 Ultimate.

I'm trying to enable bitlocker and as the laptop doesn't support TPM I have followed the instructions here (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/6229/how-to-use-bitlocker-on-drives-without-tpm/).

This worked fine on my previous laptop but as I run through the configuration process I have to reboot. When Windows restarts it reports that the usb stick doesn't have the recovery key on it - Yet when I look on the stick the key is there.
I've tried three different usb sticks and tried each of the usb ports but the result is the same.
Can anyone suggest please what is going wrong?
Thanks

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Problem enabling Bitlocker
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problem enabling Bitlocker
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Sorry to read this

But this is an OEM version of Windows which Samsung has modified with drivers and maybe that quick resume from zero power sleep.

Only Samsung could have an answer from what I see so far as it's not a Stock versions of Windows.
Bob

- Collapse -
May be right

Hi

After I posted I did a bit more research. One posting on the Microsoft Answers website did mention that fast boot was an issue.

I have researched a bios update and things, at the moment, don't look good.My BIOS has a date of 03/2012 when I went to the Samsung website the BIOS update showing for my model (more on my model in a minute) shows a date of 06/2011!

I went to the BIOS manufacturers website (American Megatrends Inc) and their "tool" said a BIOS update was available. When I tried to download it I was transferred to another website which required me to buy two dubious programs.

I then went to the Samsung website again to contact support. When I entered my model number I couldn't find an exact match (mine ends in A02), there was an AO3 but this again showed a BIOS update date of 06/2011.

I used the online form to contact support - This time I couldn't even find the model RF511 so I have had to use another model number.

Not too hopeful on the reply.

- Collapse -
Not fast start up

I found the application that lets me turn off fast start. Turned it off and rebooted (didn't really notice much difference in the startup times to be honest) and then tried setting up BitLocker, still no luck same error message about not being able to find the key on the USB stick (its not there).

- Collapse -
Again, it's not a stock issue of Windows.

It appears you are trying to enable something that is in the full retail version of Windows.

If you need this to work, it's likely you'll have to obtain a full version of Windows, do the clean install and more.
Bob

- Collapse -
but

The laptop came with an oem version of home premium and I applied a upgrade (from the windows anytime upgrade website) to ultimate.
Shouldn't this be enough? My previous machine was a Dell, again with an oem version of home premium which I applied the same upgrade path and this worked fine which suggests to me it's something to do with the Samsung bios?

- Collapse -
(NT) In that case, it seems only Samsung can solve it.
- Collapse -
No.

It's not a full retail version. And you'll inherit issues from Samsung's custom OEM install. That's going to upset those that are new to working with OEM versions. Even that anytime upgrade is a shadow of the full retail install.
Bob

- Collapse -
Constantly learning

Thanks - I presumed that applying the upgrade would bring the full benefits of the OS. Probably a daft question but where can I find out the difference between the retail version of windows against the anytime upgrade?

- Collapse -
Sorry

But I never found a definitive article on that. It appears you are repeating an old lesson and asking for something that only Samsung can resolve. And by resolve, they may just say no.

Why? Because that's the OEM choice. They can remove features as they provide OS support.
Bob

- Collapse -
Update

As I hadn't heard anything back from Samsung Tech support I sent a reminder.

It seems that my query has been escalated.

CNET Forums