Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

Problem during windows installation

when i was formatting C disk during instalation of windows XP the electricity was gone. After that I turned on computer and went into windows instalation tab, all the disks were unioned in one big disk. now I want to restor all the data from HHD, but with all folders and file names, is it posible to enter to the HDD without any data recovery program?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem during windows installation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem during windows installation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I'm going to write no.

In reply to: Problem during windows installation

To me it sounds like data recovery is needed. Yes you may have to use software, a recovery house or if you planned for this, your backup copy.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer

In reply to: I'm going to write no.

I'm already recovering all data, but recovery program can not restore all files and folder with their original names.

Collapse -
Sounds proper.

In reply to: Answer

As files don't contain names and locations, file recovery is the best you can expect.

I take it that you need more tutorials about file systems to see why this is?
Bob

Collapse -
to Bob

In reply to: Sounds proper.

No, I can see the D: disk, and content of it, the names of files and folders, but i can't open hard disk

Collapse -
Can you tell ...

In reply to: to Bob

- what is the d: disk?
- what 'opening' a hard disk is?
- why you want to restore data if you already started with formatting (with the intent to delete all data)?

Kees

Collapse -
Can you tell ... yes I can

In reply to: Can you tell ...

D: disk is: Local Disk (D:) or Local Disk (C:)
"- what 'opening' a hard disk is?" - no comment
"-why you want to restore data if you already started with formatting (with the intent to delete all data)?" - Pleas read my firs post...

Collapse -
Re: your answers

In reply to: Can you tell ... yes I can

1. So both d: and c: are partitions on a hard disk? On the same or on different?
2. That's no answer, sorry.

The current situation really is not clear to me.

Kees

Collapse -
to Kees and R. Proffitt

In reply to: Re: your answers

no, look...

When i was installing windows (usually OS is written on the Local Disk (C:)), when the screen is blue, an you have to chose the Local Disk where you want to install OS, I chose Local Disk (C:), (before that, I copy all data to the Local Disk (D:)), so, before installation begins, first of all its need to format Local disk (which you chose before, in my case Local Disk (C:)). so, when the formatting process was on 53% the power turns off, after that i found that all Local Disks were united.
It means that:
Local Disk (C:) 320GB NTFS
Local Disk (D:) 320GB NTFS
Local Disk (F:) 200GB NTFS

Local Disk (E:) 200GB NTFS
Become to...
New Volume: 990GB

Collapse -
That's clear.

In reply to: to Kees and R. Proffitt

- What's the file system on the "new volume"
- What recovery program do you use?
- What does happen?

This clearly shows that's it a good idea to backup to ANOTHER physical drive, not to the SAME. Preferably even another PC.

And I'm afraid you'll have to call in professional help (a data recovery company) to recover your files.

Kees

Collapse -
to Kees

In reply to: That's clear.

I'm using different computer and recovering all data to the another HDD. I have already recover all data but without their original names, and the problem is that i need all folders with their content an with their original names.

Collapse -
"I'm already recovering all data, but recovery program can

In reply to: to Bob

"I'm already recovering all data, but recovery program can not restore all files and folder with their original names."

Sorry but you may have to tell the full story now. If the recovery program is getting the files out why do we care about D:?

Collapse -
to Kees and R. Proffitt

In reply to: "I'm already recovering all data, but recovery program can

no, look...

When i was installing windows (usually OS is written on the Local Disk (C:)), when the screen is blue, an you have to chose the Local Disk where you want to install OS, I chose Local Disk (C:), (before that, I copy all data to the Local Disk (D:)), so, before installation begins, first of all its need to format Local disk (which you chose before, in my case Local Disk (C:)). so, when the formatting process was on 53% the power turns off, after that i found that all Local Disks were united.
It means that:
Local Disk (C:) 320GB NTFS
Local Disk (D:) 320GB NTFS
Local Disk (F:) 200GB NTFS

Local Disk (E:) 200GB NTFS
Become to...
New Volume: 990GB

Collapse -
Has your need or goal changed since your top post?

In reply to: to Kees and R. Proffitt

If so, you'll have to tell that.

Collapse -
still working...

In reply to: Has your need or goal changed since your top post?

I'm still recovering HDD with the different programs, it will take more than to days...
I'm using: Photo Recovery Genius, Recover My Files, Quadro Uneraser, Restorer2000 Pro, R-Studio, Zero Assumption Recovery.
May be, you can suggest me better ones

Collapse -
I may have missed one of them

In reply to: still working...

RECUVA is noted often.

Once the files are off this drive I'd just remove the failed partitions and start over.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Restoring data from Ubuntu Live cd

dimbulini,

Yes, it is possible. Go to Ubuntu.com and download the .iso file most applicable to your machine. Open and burn the .iso file to a cd.

If burn is done properly, your computer will boot into Ubuntu when cd is used as bootable media. Choose to run live cd without making changes and when the keyboard/man shows at the bottom of the startup screen, hit enter. You do not want to install the os, just run the cd only. Ubuntu can see NTFS, and can copy, paste, all files you need.

No changes will be made to your system when running live cd mode.

Formatting usually implies a clean install of Windows, so where exactly are the files you are looking for? If your power went out during formatting, then the format is probably corrupted. Reformat if needed and proceed with install as normal.

Let me know how you get on.

mchainmchain

Collapse -
to mchainmchain

In reply to: Restoring data from Ubuntu Live cd

Windows was on the C: disk, all documents and photos were on the D: disk, so now when I'm using recovery program, the D: disk is visible, but I can not enter to the HDD, it's asking me to format hard drive.
Now I'm downloading Ubuntu let's see what will happen Happy

Collapse -
Ubuntu Recovery Work?

In reply to: to mchainmchain

dimbulini,

It is clear that Drive C: was a single drive (1 TB) from your answers to others above. Extended partitions were made for Drive D: and Drive E: on the same drive.

A Windows format can delete all files on a single drive when run. This can occur even if you set the format to the size of the C: drive you wanted to format. It will also remove file names, file properties, and file types as well. You are able to see some files because of the sudden power loss, and because formatting was not completed.

I strongly suspect you would have lost all your files anyway because of this.

If you feel up to it, get a second physical hard drive and use that for your important files. That way, formatting Drive C: will not affect Drive D: unless you tell it to.

Drive wiping utilities are out there; these will ensure the drive is clean and safe to use and perform a clean install. Performing this step will ensure the 1 TB drive is in good condition and ready for formatting. (Be aware that running a wipe utility will take quite some time on a 1 TB drive.) Running a program such as this will remove any traces of formatting that is corrupt.

Windows XP SP1 had a drive size limitation of 137 GB, whereas SP2 and SP3 allow XP to format and see drives larger than that. I assume you made adjustments for XP to see your 1 TB drive.

Ouch!

Did Ubuntu run on your computer, and were you able to copy and paste the files you wanted to keep?

Let me know how it goes.

mchainmchain

Collapse -
All data was recovered!

In reply to: Ubuntu Recovery Work?

After, five days of scanning, all data has been recovered. Thanks to program "recover my files"

Collapse -
Answer
Yes I understand

I understand the problem. I got the error once too. It is probably due to disc reading. If you are missing a file at installing windows then simply after install is complete find the missing file by internet and copy it at the specified folder. Usually "System32" etc.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.