Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Problem defies logic

by Dr_Corndog / August 24, 2013 9:24 AM PDT

My desktop is the computer having issues. It's a Dell Dimension 2400 with a 3.06 ghz Pentium IV processor, 2 gigs DDR1 RAM, and a Broadcom 440x 10/100 integrated controller. It has a wired connection to a Belkin F6D4230-4 wireless router which is connected to an Actiontec GT701D DSL modem.

I had no problems with my desktop before my recent move. After moving I got a new ISP (CenturyLink) and bought the Actiontec modem to replace the AT&T modem I'd been using. I also took the opportunity to reformat my hard drive and reinstall Windows XP. It was after all that that I tried reconnecting my desktop to the internet, and that's when the troubles begin.

The problem is that while my desktop seems to have no trouble downloading data, it hardly uploads at all. Connection speed tests stall after the download test, and the upload test never starts. I can't connect to most websites that require login information; after inputting the information, the browser just sits there with a "Waiting for www.[sitename].com" message, never changing except to occasionally give me a 408 error. Files changed on other computers sync to my desktop just fine via Dropbox, but any change made on my desktop never syncs with other computers.

I've tried resetting both the router and the modem. I also restored my router's factory defaults. I've disabled the Windows firewall and bypassed the router's firewall, too. I did try connecting my desktop directly to the modem, and everything worked then, making me think there was an issue with my router's wired connections. However, my laptop doesn't have any trouble connecting through the router at all, either wired or wirelessly. Thus the problem only arises with that particular computer, but only when it's connected to the router.

I should mention that on booting my desktop, I get several instances of the "Error allocating i/o for pci device," message, as well as at least one of "Error allocating mem bar for pci device."

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem defies logic
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem defies logic
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It appears folk have beat that to death.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2013 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Problem defies logic
Collapse -
Le subjet
by Dr_Corndog / August 24, 2013 11:14 PM PDT

Yes, it's a Dell. I was hesitant to believe that it's a hardware issue at first because everything appears fine in Device Manager, and besides, what kind of hardware issue causes a device to lose half its functionality only when it's connected a certain way? But it's looking more like that's the case.

Just as well. I've had this computer for a good nine years, and I was planning on replacing it at the beginning of next month, anyway.

Collapse -
I've heard that before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 25, 2013 1:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Le subjet

Clients have said that for years. You nod a lot, swap a board or part and if they will pay you try it in another OS like Linux.

As we get more machines past the expected life span, I see no end to this sort of issue.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!