Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Problem connecting to home network...

Okay, here's the deal. I bought myself a Buffalotech wireless-n USB adapter for my laptop to use at work and it works great. The problem that I'm having now though is that I was at my girlfriend's house and wanted to get online but wanted to use my internal network adapter instead of the Buffalotech one because I didn't feel like plugging it in. Everytime I tried to access the network the connection would seem to timeout when it was "Acquiring the network address." I tried 5 or 6 times, power cycled my laptop, the router and the modem and still nothing, while my girlfriend, who has the exact same laptop as me, had no problem getting online. Could this have anything to do with my new Buffalotech adapter? I don't see how since it wasn't plugged in or anything.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. And sorry for the long post. I'm running Windows XP if that matters any. Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem connecting to home network...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem connecting to home network...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I see it.

In reply to: Problem connecting to home network...

It's how the Microsoft networking works. I decline to explain it but it's far from automatic. That is, Windows doesn't switch from one adapter to another with ease.

If it did there would be no need for www.netswitcher.com

Bob

Collapse -
Works at home but not at GF's house...

In reply to: I see it.

I got an email from Buffalo Tech support saying that Windows XP doesn't like having to network adapters at once on its system and to use my internal adapter I'd probably have to remove the drivers and software from my Buffalo adapter.

The thing is, while I couldn't connect to my girlfriend's network, Netgear Wireless-g router with WPA encryption, I can connect to my home network, Linksys wireless-g router with WEP encryption, with no problem.

Is it somehow possible that the issue is with her router or with the type of encryption?? Like I said in my original post, she has the exact same laptop as I do and had no problem connecting to her network when I couldn't...

I'll be sure to checkout that netswitcher site. Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
Here's what works here.

In reply to: Works at home but not at GF's house...

I have one and only one WIFI adapter in my laptop. Then I add locations with the wifi manager so it can connect automagically. Each connection can be any legitimate combo of WPA or other.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.