Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Problem connecting to device behind wireless bridge

by healingleaves / April 7, 2006 9:39 PM PDT

I have a ethernet enabled device that I would like to connect to my wireless network. I cannot add a wireless nic to this device (e.g. PCI, PCMCIA, USB, etc), so I purchased a wireless bridge (Morotola WE800g).

I configured this from a laptop and then connected it to the device. The device can connect to other devices on my network, but nothing on the network can connect to the device behind the bridge.

I tested this with two laptops. Laptop A connected to network with either builtin wireless, or wired directly to router (3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Firewall Wireless Router - 3CRWDR100A-72), and laptop B connected to the bridge.

B can connect fine to A (e.g. ping, ftp, etc), but A cannot connect to B. Sometimes when doing a "ping -t", I might get 1 response in 10, but generally I get timeouts.

I found some comments on web of similar problems with the WE800g, so I got a Netgear WGE101 bridge, but I'm having same problems with that one.

Neither of the laptops have a firewall running, and I've also tried turning off the WEP encryption on the network. Also, two laptops on the network (one with builtin wireless, and one with PCMCIA wireless card) can connect to each other fine.

One other point to note: when using the Motorola bridge, only the computer behind it turns up on the network (as reported by the assigned IP list in the router), but when using the Netgear, both the bridge and the computer get assigned IPs.

Anyone have any idea?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem connecting to device behind wireless bridge
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem connecting to device behind wireless bridge
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a thought
by Gakada / April 8, 2006 1:15 AM PDT

maybe your ''ethernet enabled device '' is broken..

Collapse -
Laptops are not broken
by healingleaves / April 8, 2006 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a thought

When I found that it didnt work on the ethernet enabled device, I tried a number of differnet setups using two laptops.

Collapse -
Networking & wireless
by Lizard_King2012 / April 8, 2006 1:16 AM PDT

I know this is pretty obvious but have you tried a cross over Ethernet cable?

Collapse -
Crossover cable
by healingleaves / April 8, 2006 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Networking & wireless

Do you mean from device to bridge, or just connecting a computer to the device using a crossover cable?

With the first bridge (Motorola WE800g), I got it second hand and there was no cable with it, I've mostly been using a standard patch cable, but tried once or twice with a crossover cable (but have not tested this extensively).

With the second bridge (Netgear WGE101), I've been using the cable provided with it.

If you mean connecting a computer to the device with a crossover cable: that's what I have been doing to transfer stuff to / from it (and works fine), but for convenience I would like to simply have it on the wireless network.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.