Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

Problem connecting my xbox to xbox live..

Ok, I've been having a lot of touble connecting my xbox to the internet. I've called Xbox, Linksys, and AT&T trying to figure the problem out. Here's the gist of it.

I got the xbox, plugged it into my router, ran a connection test and the DNS failed. I called xbox, they told me that I needed the DNS #'s from my ISP to enter it manually. I called my ISP got the #'s, entered them manually an it still failed. I called back xbox and they now had me connect the xbox directly into my computer. Did that and then the ISP part of the connection test failed. Xbox tells me to call my ISP and get my ISP address and the subnet mask from them. I call my ISP and get that info and they tell me that my router has changed the ISP because it doesn't start with 192. and that it is odd that it doesn't. But I use the numbers that I have and it still doesn't work. So I call xbox back, they tell me that I now need to call Linksys and have them open a port so that I can somehow connect it through that. So I call linksys and they now want to charge me $30 to tell me how to open a port but that first I need to call back xbox and get some #'s from them (I can't even remember the ones they want....by this time I am numbered out). I didn't pay Linksys and I didn't call back xbox for the numbers because the whole thing has me disgusted. It all sounds like a load of BS froma bunch of "techs" that don't really know what they're talking about and since all of the techs that I talked to (with the exception of the xbox people) don't speak english as a first language I am having a hard time understanding what they're talking about. So does anyone know what I can do to get connected? It just seems like a whole lot of BS to go through to get to xbox live. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem connecting my xbox to xbox live..
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem connecting my xbox to xbox live..
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Couple of things

In reply to: Problem connecting my xbox to xbox live..

Couple of things:

1: It's Microsoft you were calling not "Xbox". Xbox is a product name.
2: At some point along the way you seem to have mixed up IP with ISP
3: Try some paragraph breaks next time

That all said, it sounds like they were going to have you open a port on the router, which really shouldn't be necessary.

Personally, I'd just run a google search for connecting the Xbox to Xbox Live, and every time you run across an error message, pop that into Google and see what you get as far as troubleshooting goes.

Collapse -
It Shouldn't Be So Difficult...

You should understand that it's very difficult to solve these kind of technical issues over the phone. So while the techs you were talking to might not be experts, they were probably doing as much as they could with the information they had from you.

We might be able to help out more here if you provide a few more details about your setup. First off, you didn't specify but I'll assume you are talking about an XBox 360, and that you have it attached to the same router that your PC is attached to. More than likely your router is set up to assign IP addresses automatically (DHCP), therefore you shouldn't have to do more than attach your XBox 360 and ensure all of the items on the Network Settings page (on the XBox) are set to automatic. This will enable your XBox to get all the information on IP's, DNS, and subnet mask from the router.

In some cases you might have to reboot the router once the XBox is attached in order for it to recognize the XBox. In any case you should allow a few minutes before testing your network connection from the XBox.

Feel free to post back here if you are still having problems. It might also help if you let us know which ISP you are with and what model router you own.

Collapse -
Some more info

In reply to: It Shouldn't Be So Difficult...

First off, sorry about the first post...yes I was talking to Microsoft. Yes..I know the differance between ISP and an IP address, it was 12:30 when I posted and I was a little tired. And as far as the paragraph breaks...I'll work on that. I've already googled the problem and couldn't find anything but how to's.

I use AT&T DSL as my ISP. I have tried powering down all of the components and then powering them up to see if that would help, the tech from Microsoft had me do that. I can't remember if the xbox was connected to the router or not. I'll connect my 360 and power down again and let you know how that goes.

Collapse -
Ok...that didn't work

In reply to: Some more info

So I called microsoft and was instructed to call Linksys and have the ports opened.

I googled opening ports and read a few articles on how to do it so that I would have an idea when I called Linksys. When I did call them they didn't hae me do what I read about. They had me go into port triggering and enter the port numbers there. After getting off of the phone with them I tested my connection and it still failed.

Is there anything that anyone can think of that might be wrong? I called back my ISP (AT&T/SBC) to get the DNS #'s again to make sure that I wrote them down right.

I just don't understand why I can surf the web on my computer but the router won't let the xbox 360 through.

Collapse -
Which Model Linksys?

In reply to: Ok...that didn't work

What model is you Linksys router? I know that with my WRT54G I didn't have to open any ports to get my XBox360 working on Live.

Does the XBox give you an error message or code when attempting to connect?

Collapse -
It's a BEFSR41 v 4.3

In reply to: Which Model Linksys?

I went to portforward.com and opened the ports, downloaded a port checker to make sure that the ports were open. All of the six ports that microsoft had me open were open except for TCP 80. For some reason that port won't open. I've read that some ISP's block that port, and if that's the case I quess it's back to linksys and Xbox 360 tech support to find out what to do next because I still get a DNS failure even with 5 of the 6 ports open.

I thought about just plugging straight into the modem but when I try that I get an IP failure. I think that might be because ATT/SBC requires a password to access the broadband signal so that doesn't seem to be an option.

Collapse -
Suggestions

In reply to: It's a BEFSR41 v 4.3

Some suggestions.

1. On your router in the Basic Setup section, check to see if the DHCP Server is set to Enable. This is the most common configuration for a home network. If it is, then you should have all network settings on the XBox 360 set to <b>Automatic</b>. This allows the XBox to get all information for IP/DNS/Subnet Mask from the router. There shouldn't be a reason to have to enter these in automatically unless your DHCP is disabled.

2. Swap the ethernet cable with another. Cables sometimes do fail, or you may be inadvertently using a crossover ethernet cable.

3. Try a different router.

4. Find a tech savvy friend to help you.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Correction

In reply to: It's a BEFSR41 v 4.3

Just meant to say in my previous post:

"There shouldn't be a reason to have to enter these in <i><b>manually</b></i> unless your DHCP is disabled."

Collapse -
Thanks for the suggestion

In reply to: Correction

I checked the router and DHCP is enabled. This is the second router I've tried, and I'm using the cable that came with the 360 so it's not a crossover cable. And lastly I don't have any tech savvy friends but I'm thinking about kidnapping one of those Geek Squad guys.

Collapse -
Still no luck...

In reply to: Thanks for the suggestion

I've taken a bit of a break from trying to connect to Xbox live but I'm back at it again.

After my last call to MS they told me that I had to call Linksys and have them walk me through opening the port on the router that I needed for my Xbox to work.

I did this and then downloaded PF port checker and all of the ports are open except port 80. I still got a DNS failure. I then called Linksys back and they said that I opened the ports right and as far as the router is concerned they are open. Then told me that I needed to call AT&T and have them open the port at their end.

I called AT&T and they told me that they don;t open ports at their end due to security reasons and that since I can access the internet on my computer that the port isn't the problem.

I then called MS and they had me do all of the basic trouble shooting stuff again. Then he had me connect the Xbox directly to the modem, (which doesn't work either, with that I get an IP address failed, not the usual DNS failed like I do with the router). He then had me get the physical Mac address from my computer and enter that into the Xbox. That didn't work, it still failed the IP address test.

At this point the tech told me to call Linksys back and have them do something with the Upnp on my router. I couldn't really understand what he was talking about.

Now I am sure that there are people out there that have AT&T as their ISP and that are connected to Xbox live. But I do know that if my computer loses it's internet connection or if I restart it I have to enter in a user name and password to get the connection back. I don't know if this is just and AT&T thing or if all DSL providers require this? But could this be the reason that I get the IP failed when my xbox is connected directly to the modem, and if so how do all of the other people using AT&T get around it?

Could this be a problem with the Xbox itself. I would think that if it were a problem with the Xbox then I wouldn't get the IP failed when I connect direct to the modem and the DNS failed when I connect to the router.

PLEASE feel free to offer up any help or suggestions would be great.

Collapse -
We're having the same problem

In reply to: Still no luck...

Hey, it's funny how similar our problems are. My XBox 360 is doing the exact same thing. It can't be the router, because the router connects me quite quickly to the internet from my laptop. It can't be the cable because it's the cable that's right out of the box from Microsoft and it works connecting my computer to the router. It has to be the XBox.

I'm having a friend who supposedly had a similar problem come over today and see what he can do with it. If all fails, I'm either taking it to Geek Squad or sending it back. I hope it's something that can be fixed.

Let me know if you have anymore luck.

Collapse -
Xbox lost live connection

I wish someone would come up with an anwser to this problem. Everything was ok with the router. I even purchased a wireless connection for the xbox. Then all of a sudden the wireless failed. We connected it to the router with hard wire, that we used in the past. That connection was working, then it failed. I was told the same as everyone else, call linskys, call optimum, the same BS about the windows not being open, dah, dah, dah. I think this is an Xbox problem, not a router or interent provider problem. How can something work one day and then not the next. People at xbox don't know what they are talking about! Help if you can.

Collapse -
It's been many years.

In reply to: Xbox lost live connection

This old thread has been retired so feel free to start a new one.

Keep in mind that millions of XBox's are fine with this setup so start fresh with the details.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.