General discussion

Problem Connecting HDTV to Laptop

Just purchased a 46" 6000 series HDTV and am trying to get my Toshiba Laptop to display on the TV screen. Using a VGA cable between the two. VGA is the only compatible connection method.

The desktop background photo shows up beautifully on the TV screen, but that's all that's there. No icons. No cursor. Absolutely nothing else. The laptop operates normally and displays fine, but the TV screen never does anything.

Can anyone assist?

Thanks,
Doug

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Problem Connecting HDTV to Laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problem Connecting HDTV to Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Problem Connecting HDTV to Laptop

dougshrader,

It's probably showing an extended desktop on the television. If you open a word doc or IE, you'd be able to drag it over from the primary screen to that screen.

So if you want to mirror, or use the TV as the primary device, you'll have to right click on the desktop, choose PROPERTIES, then the SETTINGS tab and then Click "IDENTIFY". If you see a #1 on your primary screen and a #2 on your TV, then you're using the extended desktop settings. Depending on your graphics card, driver or software, you should easily be able to change this.

Does that help?

--HDTech

- Collapse -
It's Working. Thank You.

You were EXACTLY correct. I could drag an open window to the right and it began to show up on the TV monitor.

I then found the graphic card display settings and found that "Extended Desktop" was selected. I changed the setting to "Laptop and Monitor" and now the laptop and monitor are perfectly duplicated.

Thanks again!

Doug

- Collapse -
It's Working. Thank You.

dougshrader,

Great news. Thanks for posting back.

--HDTech

CNET Forums

Forum Info