Computer Help forum

General discussion

problem building a computer

by mko / May 11, 2004 10:31 PM PDT

this is the closest forum relative to my problem i could think of. couple of well versed tech friends of mine are building acomputer for me and came to a problem. the computer won't power up. as in,,,nothing, dead. no spark, no sign of life. they reviewed and triple checked all their steps and came up dumbfounded.

the only thing not done at the time when they powered up was they had not installed a video card,,,,,but they didn't think a Vcard was needed to TEST the computer. they ONLY wanted to power up,,,,that's it. so after that, they unplugged everything except the two power cables to the mobo. they felt this was all that was needed to simply "power up". nothing happened.

question is now,,,,must a video card be installed in order for the unit to simply power up? if not, then the only choice seems to be a non-working power supply or bad mobo.
unless someone here can think of something. as i said, they triple checked all their steps.

abit IS-7. generic 500 watt power supply. lian-li case. plextor, sony, and seagate drives. plextor cdr-rw is master, sony dvd is slave. HD is independently connected. p4/2.8/833

thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problem building a computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problem building a computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:problem building a computer
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2004 10:47 PM PDT

2 ideas.

1. I witnessed an unique home built machine. They had bolted the motherboard to the case and no standoffs. Hint? Check that its built proper or why not pull it out of the case and move to just PSU, Motherboard and nothing else. No CPU, RAM, nothing... If I use a metal pen tip on the PWR-ON connector, I see it power up if these two pieces are good.

Place the units on cardboard to avoid shorts.

2. I didn't see if you had a POWER-ON connection to the motherboard. Or if you tried a metal pen tip to see if the power switch was defective.

Bob

Collapse -
by Shepbob / May 11, 2004 10:50 PM PDT

Some motherboards have a jumper that has to be moved to power up the board. This is done to conserve the bios battery. Check your manual for this possibility

Collapse -
This is a safe bet!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2004 11:51 PM PDT

Besides moving the CMOS RESET jumper, the battery must be "good."

I forget this one all the time.

Bob

Collapse -
by Yew / May 11, 2004 10:52 PM PDT

What two power cables didn't they plug in? It's a rather important detail these days.

Long ago you could simply plug a power supply into an outlet and see if it would turn on. These days (with ATX power supplies), the power supply expects a couple of signals back from the computer, so simply plugging it into an outlet won't work. You have to have at least the large 12-pin plug connected to the motherboard, and given your system, I'd say the square shaped 4-pin connector that feeds the CPU power.

After that, you SHOULD be able to hear some POST beeps without a monitor, but it's useful IMO to be able to see that there's something showing up on the display.

Figure out which two cables your friends aren't plugging in, and make sure it's not the 12-pin and square 4-pin (they look quite different from any other plug because they have little clips on them). If those are plugged in, then report back and we can take it from there.

Collapse -
by Willy / May 11, 2004 11:00 PM PDT

Without reading any of the other posters replies, I suggest this:
Check the frt. panel power-ON/OFF connection is on right connection as labeling/wording can be confusing. Plus, verify the 115/230V sw. on p/s unit is correct. Also, the best advise I can pass on is, "DON"T TAKE ANYTHING FOR GRANTED", check it.

this message approved by -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?