Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Problem booting

by DorisGeiger / April 19, 2007 9:43 PM PDT

WinXP on a Gateway 500 series. I just got DishNetworks highspeed connection which is working fine but then I downloaded their F-Secure anti virus program. When I installed it, that went fine too but at the end it said to restart and thats when the trouble began. The welcome page comes up and then the desktop comes up and then the screen goes black and the computer shuts down. Then it starts to boot up and the same thing happens. It just continues this cycle. I called Dishnetwork and they said it was because I already had an anti virus program on my computer (I did, AVG) and that each anti virus is thinking the other is a virus and is shutting down. They said they could not help me. Can someone help me, Please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem booting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem booting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You need to remove one of them. . .
by Coryphaeus / April 19, 2007 10:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Problem booting
Collapse -
Try SAFE MODE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2007 10:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Problem booting

Then disable one or the other or both to sort it out.

Bob

Collapse -
boot safe mode
by DorisGeiger / April 19, 2007 10:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Try SAFE MODE

But the computer will not stay on long enough for me to even get to the control panel or anywhere else for that matter. And I don't know how to get to safe mode.

Collapse -
That's easy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2007 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: boot safe mode

Ask a search engine this.

"How do I get to safe mode?"

Given search engines why not save the hard questions for here?

Bob

Collapse -
That's easy.
by DorisGeiger / April 19, 2007 10:24 PM PDT
In reply to: That's easy.

I'm so sorry I bothered you. This may not be hard for you but it is hard for me.

Collapse -
Let me explain it better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2007 10:31 PM PDT
In reply to: That's easy.

This is all volunteer efforts. Unlike tech support you should try some questions like that one on a search engine. That way you save a turn on the simple steps.

We do have a Newbie Forum for those that need it.

Your issue is likely solvable but try to do the simple steps on your own since no one is paid here.

-> I think you may not know how to diable those AV either since you didn't use the search for safe mode. Here's how.

I try a few methods.

1. I see if add/remove programs lets me remove them.
2. If not I run MSCONFIG and use it's selective startup feature.

Cheers,

Bob

Collapse -
That's easy
by DorisGeiger / April 19, 2007 10:46 PM PDT

I do know how to remove the program if I can get to it. I'm not a newbie so I didn't go to that forum. I know some things about the workings of the computer but sometimes have problems....I just came to the forum where I've been before and always got polite replies and help. I know you are not paid but simply on this forum to help others. Again, I'm sorry to have been a bother.

Collapse -
So it's impolite to ask members to try a search engine?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 19, 2007 10:58 PM PDT
In reply to: That's easy

I was thinking that if more learn to use such they could avoid trips to service counters and more. This advice is echoed at this link.

"That?s where the Internet comes in. You can try entering the text of the message into Google?s search engine..."
http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/article.asp?article=articles/archive/r1101/02r01/02r01.asp

That simple advice is widely given and everyone can give it a try to save themselves a trip to a repair counter or a call to a support line.

Is this impolite?

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?