Computer Help forum

General discussion

problem after overclocking

by blueman96 / November 16, 2008 10:27 AM PST

hi, my family recently got a new desktop pc. i was given the old pc, here are the specs.
1024 mbs of ram
1.73 ghz pentim 4 prossesor
80 gb of hd
and so forth cause that isn't the point. i realized i could overclock it, so i did. i overclocked it to 1.87 ghz, then i tried to go further. and the computer stoped working. when i turned it on i just got a black screen. so i checked the cables and tried it again. same. so i tried to reset the cmos chip. and after that, still same. what should i do? did i break the computer, or can i fix it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: problem after overclocking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: problem after overclocking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What spare parts do you have?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2008 10:29 AM PST

That's an old machine so all bets are off what busted. Type THE DEAD PC at google.com to find the usual ideas on a dead PC but tell what spares you have to work with and did you replace the CMOS battery?

Collapse -
first of all.
by blueman96 / November 17, 2008 4:44 AM PST

the computer. worked fine before i9 overcloked, and yes i did replace the battery. what should i do? and it is not that old. it is only a 2001.

Collapse -
My hall light worked fine last week too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2008 6:27 AM PST
In reply to: first of all.

I know what you are saying but it's broken now. So you decide whether to begin repairs with what spares you have.

Collapse -
ok then.
by blueman96 / November 17, 2008 8:24 AM PST

so i take it that i have broken the cpu, unfortunately i have not extra cpus too. but... i have had a stroke of luck, someone offered me a new computer for a price, but i will not talk about that right now. or... i can spend 70 bucks replacing the possessor on a crappy computer. but i think the cpu was burning out to begin with, and this just set it off. but oh well everything happens for a reason, good or bad. bad in my case. so i will look into that new computer, and if it is an unreasonable deal, then i will look into a new cpu.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?