Desktops forum

General discussion

Problem after adding additional RAM Memory.

Here's the problem I'm having. First off, I've changed RAM before, added, taken it out, everything, but I've never had a problem like this before so hopefully someone can shed some light on the subject. I have an HP Pavilion A1700N desktop, but with an added video card, and added RAM memory. I had it running on the 2 x 512mb chips it came with, and I purchased another 2 x 512mb set to go with it, and it was running with 2.0gb perfectly. My dad has a newer HP pc, and since the RAM in each computer was identical, (Both PC2-4200), he had 2 x 1gb sticks, so I figure, okay, 2 x 1gb + 2 x 512mb = 3gb. However the computer refuses to operate this way. It will not accept all four in at one time. It will only work with three. I've alternated banks in every possible combination, but it will only work with three. In some instances, with four in, the computer will re-start itself over and over again, or lock up while loading Windows Vista. I removed one of the original chips that I had left in there, leaving it with 3, and the computer booted up, and indicated that it had 2.5gb of memory. I put the chip back in the spot and removed the other chip, and it worked just the same, but when I put that chip back in, it started playing its games with me again by not booting up correctly. Am I missing something about mixing two different capacities of RAM in different slots? Is there a reason this is happening? Obviously the slots in the motherboard are working, and the chips are working too, but for some reason, it just doesn't work all-together.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem after adding additional RAM Memory.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem after adding additional RAM Memory.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: RAM problem

In reply to: Problem after adding additional RAM Memory.

Collapse -
Check into...

In reply to: Problem after adding additional RAM Memory.

Your problem presents three(3) areas to look at:

1) bios updates
2) XP 3gb install
3) PSU wattage present

The bios may not know how to handle this much ram in *all* slots when being used, thus a bios update maybe in order. Check to see what any bios update corrects/fixes. Next, the amount of ram shouldn't be a problem, but XP OS does have issues when more than 3.5gb is present. Even though 3gb is less than 3.5gb it does seem to cause an issue in some systems, which may or may be related to all ram slots being used or added together cause the issue. Google for XP ram limits, for detailed answers. Which brings into question is the psu capable. OEM systems tend to match the power requirements to the system as sold, with little to grow on. Plus, if this is an older system, wear&tear of usage maybe a tipping point being reached. Last, when in a DDR? type ram system, using the proper ram slots and/or use of matched ram pairs becomes very important for install. Sometimes its better to toss old ram out and install greater ram capacity ram in, like from 512mb to 1gb sticks.

tada -----Willy

Collapse -
-

In reply to: Check into...

Well first, it came with Windows Vista Home Premium pre-installed, XP has never been on the system (unfortunately.) How would I get a bios update for this? Search motherboard specific online or go to like windows update? It's not too old. Was working perfectly with the four in it so it worked right before I changed the RAM.

Oh, and my dad has the 2 x 512mb chips in his pc now that used to be in my system. I'm planning on adding 2 more 1gb sticks, this was only a temporary thing, however if its going to work like this im a bit skeptical of buying new sticks--

Collapse -
Damaged ram?

In reply to: -

I *assumed* XP as problem persist with 3gb ram issues, Vista OK.

Since, this is Vista it should continue to work. Now, I suspect, either improper handling of the ram via ESD/static damage. -OR- the slot itself has been broken. Some slots can be now more easily broken to environmental soldering techniques which caused a weaken joint, and too much flexing or force will cause damage. Close inspection with magnifying glass can observe this damage, google for an example. This is very common in laptops but desktops appear more robust but it has happened. This is simply another area to investigate. As for bios update check the support website for your system maker. If a self-build then the mtrbd. maker. Don't do a bios update unless necessary, follow instructions well!!! Don't do an online update.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
xp crash on ram boost

In reply to: Damaged ram?

got an hp pav xl 700 with p3 800 mhz its got 2x128 mb
tried with 2x 256 mb and xp wont boot
any 1x128mb +any 1x 256 mb will work in any slot
bios recognizes it and windows millenium boots with 2x 256mb...
i think its an xp issue but not on max ram cuz i only got 512 max cap on mobo...did not try reinstall tough...

Collapse -
Actually a known issue with most i8xx chipsets.

In reply to: xp crash on ram boost

You must use low density memory sticks. Rather than have me dig up the old docs on the web about this, tell me did you try generics or did you get them from Crucial? (they send you the right sticks.)

Collapse -
ram

In reply to: Actually a known issue with most i8xx chipsets.

the 128 mb were generic pc 133
the 256 mb are kingston pc 100 (used)

Collapse -
So you know the issue?

In reply to: ram

Google the following.

What is the chipset on the motherboard? Intel PIII chipsets (i810 and i815 series) only support low density RAM, and only a max of 512MB - 256MB per slot.

Don't feel bad. Many discover this after they waste a few months trying to fix it. And just to be clear, the fix is to get the right memory. There is no BIOS or setting to overcome this chipset limitation.

Collapse -
ram2

In reply to: So you know the issue?

then why do 1x 128 and 1x 256 work together total=384?

Collapse -
Sorry.

In reply to: ram2

A small course in chipsets would be needed. In short and as deep as I should go here is that with that pair there are sufficient chip select lines to support that configuration.

Unless you are a computer designer this may not make too much sense. Did you google the words I gave you? I find that some will never think of this and will waste months on this.

I hope we can accelerate your lesson.
Bob

Collapse -
yay

In reply to: Sorry.

i think i get most of it just a little confused cuz im french speaking my english not perfect thank you for your time Wink

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.