be completed" I did some research and found that it might be that there
are 3 WSD ports showing in the ports list, but I can't delete them. I
tried using them to add another generic printer and then deleting it but
it won't let me.
Can anyone help?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Problem adding wireless printer
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Problem adding wireless printer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
ME TOO!

I had a HP 4780 or something similar. I had a stock Windows HP laptop with nothing more than what HP gave me. After a week of futzing I returned the printer for another make. The other make installed on the first try.

I wonder what model you have.
Bob

- Collapse -
Problem adding wireless printer

Its a B210e but its not the printer because they have tried an Epson wireless with the same result.
Its definitely something in the OS Vista. I'm thinking its the WSD ports that show as I can delete
the printer and they are still showing.

- Collapse -
Link, comment.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documentSubCategory?tmp_rule=9937&tmp_task=solveCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=4134821 notes a few topics.

-> Remember I have only the partial story and I could give bad advice. For example it may be incorrect to remove those WSD ports but I can't second guess you on this given the details so far.

It could be that old firewall issue but I digress.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-networking-and-wireless/WSD-port-for-Printers/td-p/579705 notes what it is.

Onto removal. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/944960 tells how.
Bob
- Collapse -
Problem adding wireless printer

Thanks for the reply Bob.
I have looked at all those links before, although I did not do the firewall drill. I guess I'll try it.
The link to remove Wsd ports is also one I've looked at, but it did me no good as it would still
not let me delete because no matter what print driver I used, I got the "Unable to install printer.
Some driver files are missing or incorrect. Re-install using latest driver version"
As I'm writing this I'm thinking that I should have tried to just added a LPT printer and see
if I get the same error. That should tell me a little more.

- Collapse -
The first thing I would do is

run the install cd to load the drivers and then connect the printer with a usb cable to make sure it works.
Then remove the usb cable and con figure the wireless connection.

CNET Forums