PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Problem adding RAM

I currently have a "LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D" mb with 2 x 512mb ddr400 ram, which are different brands. everything works perfectly, until i add my third piece of ram which is also 512mb ddr400 and also another brand.

when the computer is turned on, i get long repetitive beeps from the bios code which i found means that the RAM is either faulty or not seated properly. i have checked that the RAM works by placing it in the second slot, and checked numerous times that it is seated properly.

i have tried multiple combinations (1-2-3, 1-3-4, 1-2-4, 2-3-4) and nothing seems to work.

i know its not something to do with the double and single sided RAM because i already have one of each installed.

PC specs
-----------
Windows XP Home
Processor - AMD 3700+
MOBO - LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D
RAM - 2 x 512mb ddr 400
Video - Nvidia 7900GT
PSU - 430W

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Problem adding RAM
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Problem adding RAM
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What's your MB manual or mfgs web say about adding RAM

In reply to: Problem adding RAM

to your system ?

VAPCMD

Collapse -
MB manual

In reply to: What's your MB manual or mfgs web say about adding RAM

it just has instructions on how to install the modules (how to seat the ram), and a few specs on what type of memory the mb supports.

Collapse -
for what it's worth...

In reply to: MB manual

Collapse -
hmmmmm

In reply to: for what it's worth...

so if i buy one more piece of RAM, to fit all 4 slots, then will it work?

because if its the RAM that has to be identical, i already have two different pieces running in there at the moment

Collapse -
that could be just one of the reasons.

In reply to: hmmmmm

I couldn't tell you with complete certainty. I looked at the memory section of that motherboard's manual, and it didn't show any mixing of single-sided with double-sided modules. It also implied that you may have instability problems when not using completely identical modules.

Cost issues aside, I'd use two identical 1GB modules to ensure maximum compatibility.

Collapse -
If you want a stable system running at optimum speed....

In reply to: MB manual

follow the guidance found in you MB manual. It's almost all there in black and white. And I'd start with RAM recommended by DFI for your MB..also found at the mfgs website. Here's just some of what it says about RAM for your system:

"DIMMs in a channel can be identical or
completely different. However, we highly
recommend using identical DIMMs.
? Not all slots need to be populated.

The integrated memory controller in AMD's 64-bit Socket 939
series CPU will directly catch data transmission from DDR RAM
without passing through the Northbridge. Therefore when using 4
identical double side DIMMs or using 2 DIMMs in non-dual channels,
the memory speed will reduce to DDR333. Please refer to the
detailed memory speed shown below."

Other mfgs go as far as to specifically recommend NOT using 3 DIMMs in a dual channel memory system with 4 DIMM slots.

The lesson here is read about the product before you buy or add...otherwise you'll be where you are now....starting over with buying additional matching memory modules that optimizes system performance. As Linkit recommended, 2-1GB DIMMs is the probably the optimum solution for you.

And by all means ... if you're unsure what you buy, check out some products and ask for comments and recommendations here.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.