Video Cameras forum

General discussion

Probably already answered but.....

....I'm leaving for work in about five minutes and don't have time to search through the tons of threads. So please don't flame me. I'm completely desperate here and wanted to get started right away.

Basically here's the thing -

Own a Canon DC210. I'm a singer and wanted to make some videos for YouTube to show people I have stage presence. We're in the middle of remodeling our house so the editing programing that came with it has been misplaced before I could install it. So on advice from another musician I bought Roxio.

I cannot get any of the DVDs made on my camera to play on my computer. Roxio claims there's nothing on there. However, they DO play on the camera so my performances were recorded.

My brother had tried this on his computer. He said he found there's a program that'll retrieve the info on the DVDs but he didn't want to pay for it so now I need to find it. He didn't tell me what it was called.

Tried Canon's site first, they seem to have no way to contact them. Nor can I find any programing to help. So could someone please be so kind as to help me? Pretty please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Probably already answered but.....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Probably already answered but.....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try VirtualDub or DVD Decrypter..

In reply to: Probably already answered but.....

If they can't see the files, try ISOBuster to see if it can get them for you.

Another one bites the dust... DVD camcorders really aren't a solution besides the use of a doorstop.

Collapse -
Thank you!

In reply to: Try VirtualDub or DVD Decrypter..

Just got off work. Going to search those programs up now.

Collapse -
Well....

In reply to: Thank you!

The first wouldn't download. The second claims there's nothing on the disc. ISO did find the stuff but I can't open the files. I checked again on the camera itself. I wish there was a way to plug a USB into it and just transfer that way.

I don't suppose anyone knows if the software that is suppose to come with the camera is avalible online. So I could transfer it to my computer and then work on making clips. Or how, besides the phone number provided since I hate talking on the phone, I might contact Canon itself for help. *hopeful look*

Collapse -
Just sharing.

I read the manual for this one and the disk is not readable till you finalize it. Did you?

As to the software, where is yours? It comes with the unit.

Collapse -
Um, not sure....

In reply to: Just sharing.

My brother's the one who did the recording.

The software is missing. Our house is being remodeled and in the move from there to the rental it went POOF! Gone. I had to buy a whole new computer (mine was over 6 years old) and never got a chance to install before the move.

Collapse -
(NT) Post back when you're sure about the finalizing.

In reply to: Um, not sure....

Collapse -
I'm thinking the answer must be yes....

In reply to: Post back when you're sure about the finalizing.

Because they don't give me a finalize option. Just an intialize. And since they play on the camera there's obviously stuff on there. So he must've finalized them.

Collapse -
The content plays without final on the camera.

In reply to: I'm thinking the answer must be yes....

So that's not a sure sign. Also the manual noted we remove the battery to finalize so I'm unsure if you've read your manual.

Collapse -
But they don't give a finalize option....

In reply to: The content plays without final on the camera.

....just initialize. And since there's content on there it's not like the discs are empty. (Three are the rerecordable kind.) And I know I don't want to select initialize.

Collapse -
And the unit I used didn't show the option until

In reply to: But they don't give a finalize option....

I removed the battery and put the media that needed it back in.

I can't see what you are doing so sorry if you've done what the manual tells us to do.

Collapse -
I'm not very technologically inclined....

In reply to: And the unit I used didn't show the option until

....I can barely tell between a JPG and a GIF so I wasn't getting what you were saying.

I assume after taking the battery out, you put it back in, or do I have to instead plug it into an electrical outlet so it'll have the power to run?

Collapse -
I am a poor substitute for the manual.

In reply to: I'm not very technologically inclined....

The unit I used had a very specific method to finalize the media. The manual showed pictures and words where here we only have words.

-> DO NOT USE MY INSTRUCTIONS. Use the manual for the device.

I am only sharing how the one I used worked and am asking for gritty details so I can see if you followed the manual.
Bob

Collapse -
Example Manual.

In reply to: I'm not very technologically inclined....

Collapse -
I have the manual....

In reply to: Example Manual.

....and I read it, but didn't see anything about removing the battery first.

Collapse -
(NT) And do you see the letter F?

In reply to: I have the manual....

Collapse -
I do now.

In reply to: And do you see the letter F?

Thanks! Now if I could just find the original programing that went with the camera.

Collapse -
The media is (F) inalized.

We now have the media finalized and in theory it should play on some but not all DVD players. It will not play on most Retail installs of "Windows."

-> To play it we can try VLC PLAYER (see google.)

Try that next.
Bob

Collapse -
Alright.

In reply to: The media is (F) inalized.

Yeah, they're all finalized - now. I'm still having trouble in getting them to transfer to my computer. Roxio won't do it and DVDRipper keeps freezing every time I try. But for a brief moment one of the programs was willing to play, but not transfer.

Collapse -
Looks like PC problems to me.

In reply to: Alright.

Try another machine?

Collapse -
I might....

In reply to: Looks like PC problems to me.

....from what I can tell in the instruction booklet Roxio can only transfer from the camera to the harddrive. Which makes no sense why they'd set it up that way.

I wish I could find my original Canon software that came with the camera. That would probably solve all my problems in transfering so I can edit.

I'm trying a decrypter right now that someone suggested. That might be the new problem - after all, the other programs just don't seem to recongnize the Canon's files.

But seriously, thanks for all the help. I probably would've given up by now without you all.

Collapse -
Frustration levels rising....

....so here's where I'm at -

Turns out my brother did NOT finalize the DVDs, but I did it. One program on my computer is willing to play them, but none are willing to transfer from the DVD to the computer. (One even freezes up so badly that I have to reboot the computer every time to close it.)

I'm trying the decrypter someone recomemened to me. It's been on the same disc since yesterday afternoon. It's been about 24 hours and is only up to 93% done.

Called Canon. They claim that the camera does NOT come with software, even though it did and you all have asked me about it. Which means you have the software too. Plus both my dad and another lady found a page to download the software from Canon, but the page itself won't open. So something screwy is going on there.

And I'm 95% on the way to losing my mind.

Collapse -
If you watched them on your computer,

In reply to: Frustration levels rising....

that means your computer has a drawer loading DVD drive...

I would download and install HandBrake
http://handbrake.fr/
and rip the video files into something your editor likes (.avi, .wmv).

Collapse -
What I found out....

In reply to: If you watched them on your computer,

....is apparently the read only discs cannot be transfered to the computer. Only the two read-write discs I happened to use at my performance apparently will transfer over. (I hope. I'm afraid to take the current one out of the DVD drive right now because it's still decrypting and I don't want to do permenant damage to it.)

So now the question is, is there someway I can transfer stuff from a read-only DVD to a RW DVD? Even if I have to go somewhere and pay someone to do it. I don't suppose this is a service Kinkos offers, is it?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.