Laptops forum

General discussion

Pro-long battery life

by greggo25 / December 1, 2009 8:49 AM PST

Hello,

I recently purchased a Dell Studio 14z and im really enjoying my laptop. In fact, switching from my old laptop which's battery would last no longer than a few minutes has really been nice. However, im worried that I may be using the battery in such a way that the life will be shorter then it should be. I know that the lithium ion batteries are not like the old ones and do not need to be run down or can be over charged, but rather have a certain number of charge cycles. I find that Ill use my laptop on battery power for a discharge anywhere from 5% to 25% and then put it back on the charger. Is this short discharge counting as a charge cycle? Should i run it down lower before charging? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Pro-long battery life
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Pro-long battery life
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Deeply discussed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 9:55 AM PST
In reply to: Pro-long battery life

You can find volumes of info about this but here's the brutal truth. Batteries age even when unused. While you could charge it and then place it in a plastic bag with desiccant in the fridge (not freezer) this negates all the reasons for having a battery.

So no, that is not considered a full cycle. The terrible truth is the common laptop battery is a 18 or so month life span thing with 300 or so good cycles. If you don't need a battery, remove it but then where is the benefit of the battery?

As to the cycling, that's been discussed too many times and as you will discover the battery technology makes a difference. For the most part you can just leave it fully charged on the desktop and it will last a long time. We have laptops on the desktops and the battery works 2 years later. And they rarely ran on battery alone.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: Deeply discussed
by greggo25 / December 1, 2009 10:39 AM PST
In reply to: Deeply discussed.

Thanks for the help. I realized that this has been discussed, but i couldnt seem to find anything on whether or not short discharges/charges were harmful. I might as well use my notebook as a i please and if i have to replace the battery at some point, well then i guess i have to. Thanks again!

Collapse -
1. They are not "harmful"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 10:25 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Deeply discussed

2. Look to CELL PHONES which can use the same battery technology and we top them off daily without HARM. In fact if you do your research you find this battery type works best in this use scenario.

You say you didn't find an answer. Sorry but that can't be but there are no answers but opinions aplenty. I will not debate this but be brutally honest here. If you don't want the battery to age, that's not possible. If you want the longest possible life, don't use the battery and store it away. But then why have a battery?
Bob

Collapse -
Hello
by satishpari123 / December 2, 2009 8:46 PM PST
In reply to: Pro-long battery life

Hi

Its great to find such a laptop. I have HCL laptop with me but I am really fed up with the batery issue. It doesn't stay more than a 1 hour. Let me try with the laptop that you have purchased.

------------

Regards
Allen

www.google.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?