The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Prizefight rigged!

In itunes vs. amazon the last 2 categories were rigged! You can, although it is not as seamless, convert your acc files into mp3 to be used in other players. I think this adds a point not to mention a lot of albums are cheaper then $9.99. Did you really take that into account? Sounds like your cheating!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Prizefight rigged!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Prizefight rigged!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
but that's an extra step

In reply to: Prizefight rigged!

...which slightly degrades sound quality (but I can't tell the difference really). If iTunes is going to go drm free, why can't they take the extra step and offer them as mp3s? As for pricing, we shall see how much albums/songs are going to be with the three tiered pricing. I was a big iTunes/iPod user, but have mainly switched to Amazon. I really like their deals of the day. I have bought more than a few albums for $1.99, $2.99, and $3.99...including U2's latest (which was a big FAIL in my mind, so I'm glad that I only shelled out $3.99 for it). And the Amazon downloader puts them into my iTunes library for me.

I thought this prizefight is more than fair. Actually, I would have thought this was rigged if iTunes won.

Collapse -
not so fast

In reply to: but that's an extra step

No it does not degrade the sound quality if you are converting to an equal kbs quality. It is a digital source made from 1's and 0's so its either on or off. Only does the quality degrade from 1000's of copies of copies on a digital source. As far as mp3's go, they are usually poor quality (128-256 kbs). The real question is why are they not offering FLAC which is the best compression of quality one can get. MPS'3 are old news. I have bought 4 total albums from itunes and get my stuff free from Pirate Bay. Itunes should have one if they sis their homework, although both are not perfect.

Collapse -
Doesn't Degrade? What now?

In reply to: not so fast

If somehow mp3 and acc were completely the same bit-stream and only the container differed, then and only then would there be no loss in data during the conversion. However since mp3 and acc use different compression technology and are not binary compatible formats then the acc data must be decoded into a waveform and then re-encoded into a mp3 data format.

However there would be no loss of data however converting from acc to flac, because flac is lossless. So converting from incompatible lossy forms results in data loss, but converting from lossy data forms to lossless will result in no data loss. This unfortunately is a huge waste of space and time.

Collapse -
oops

In reply to: Doesn't Degrade? What now?

oops meant aac....

Collapse -
have you bought anything from Amazon?

In reply to: not so fast

And you can honestly say that you can tell the difference? I wasn't making any real claims about sound quality being different in the conversion, so I'll give you that. Still, buying iTunes Plus and converting it to mp3 is still an extra step. An extra step that could be avoided if they were mp3s in the first place. Of course, you don't have to do that if you have an iPod or a player that supports AAC. If you have neither, there's no compelling reason to use the iTunes store to buy music.

I've bought nearly 1,000 songs from iTunes - half of them are still 128 kbps DRM'ed (because they're not available in iTunes Plus), the rest 256 kbps unDRM'ed AAC. I've also bought 500 songs from Amazon (256 kbps). Can't tell the difference.

Since FLAC isn't offered by either, that's neither a point given nor taken. Probably the audiophiles out there aren't buying from either store.

And if you're gonna steal music, maybe you shouldn't advertise it? Wink

Collapse -
Yes I have purchased 1 album (Thievery Corporation)

In reply to: have you bought anything from Amazon?

Yes its very easy to tell the difference when your working with high end hi-fi equipment. Yes I am one of those audiophiles you noted and I can't believe you paid for 1,000 songs @ 128 kbs. To me, Pirate Bay is the same thing as making a tape from the radio and do not care if I support the cause.
My issue was with the prizefight and how they rated it. They gave lower scores for things they shouldn't have as stated in my first post. Just make it fair.

Collapse -
So you're comparing 1 Album with...

In reply to: Yes I have purchased 1 album (Thievery Corporation)

...ONLY 4 albums bought from iTunes?

For most people (whom this prizefight seems to really be for), who put these songs on their iPods (hardly high end equipment) and use the crapbuds that come with them, there will be no difference in sound quality. And even with better earphones, there is barely a perceptible difference. We're talking about COMPRESSED AUDIO ON NOT SO HIGH END BUT EXPENSIVE MP3 PLAYERS. And the reviewers, 2 of which host CNET's MP3 Insider Podcast, actually review mp3 players and earphones.

We can argue back and forth about how they rated audio quality, but it is what it is. You could actually take your cause to the MP3 Insider Lounge and/or go to their blog page and comment. You might actually get a response back from Jasmine or Donald.

And you barely made an argument that iTunes is a better value. And that's where Amazon seemed to pull ahead by a lot. iTunes (free) song of the week is usually crap that I've stopped bothering to download. So, iTunes offers albums that are often cheaper than $9.99. So does Amazon. But Amazon also offers their Album of the Day (suck it iTunes!) and then on Fridays offers the Friday 5 (Five albums that are $5 each!)

And no, I actually didn't buy those songs with my own money. I was given a boatload of iTunes gift cards, which to this day I'm still spending.

Amazon didn't win by much. In my mind, it's a draw. There are some really good things about iTunes (especially if you own an iPod or an AAC compatible player) and there are some really good things about Amazon.

Collapse -
Plus TOS/EULA

In reply to: but that's an extra step

Plus the TOS and EULA likely prevent the modification of the file.

Collapse -
Haven't had a chance to look at it but...

In reply to: Plus TOS/EULA

Apple shouldn't advertise the ability of iTunes to make mp3 cds if it is against TOS/EULA. And as long as the songs aren't DRM'ed you can make mp3 cds from purchased tracks. And as long as your import settings are mp3, you can make mp3 copies of unDRM'ed purchased tracks WITHIN iTunes.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/features/

Collapse -
(NT) Conspiracy! lolcano!

Collapse -
Yeah, but

With MP3 you don't have to convert. You also don't have to deal with the bloated hot that iTunes is.

Both simplify my life when it comes to digital music.

Collapse -
I didn't see it but...

...if Amazon didn't win by a lot then it was rigged!

Collapse -
Unnecessary

Most devices play AAC no need to convert it. It's a more open standard than mp3 and higher quality.
But I wasn't that bothered by the prizefight. Amazon store is cheaper and has in some cases a better range.
My main criticism of the prizefight is they didn't take any points away from amazon for being a US only store.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.