HolidayBuyer's Guide

Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

private

by jmoore723 / October 10, 2005 4:59 AM PDT

how do i keep others from seeing what i look at on the internet?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: private
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: private
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not really possible...
by John.Wilkinson / October 10, 2005 5:33 AM PDT
In reply to: private

There are so many ways of people seeing what you're doing it's not even funny. Basically there's no way to guarentee privacy, but there are things you can do to reduce the chances.

P) Someone walks up behind you and looks at the screem.
S) If you don't want someone to watch what you're doing, make sure you're in a private place. You can also purchase screen shields, which prevents the viewing of the screen beyond a certain distance.

P) Someone can install spyware onto your computer to monitor everything you do, and even record keystrokes and take screenshots.
S) Make sure you use a firewall, antivirus, and spyware protection, perform regular sweeps, and be ensure that only select people can sign onto your computer by using password protection. Software availability and methods of securing your PC depend on your OS. Just be aware that some spy software can avoid detection, so there's no guarentees.

P) Your browser history, cookies, cache, autocomplete, etc, as well as MRU (most recently used) file lists all tell where you've been.
S) There are various methods and rograms for clearing such information, but it depends on what browser and operating system you use. Again, nothing's perfect, so traces will always be left behind.

P) Your communications over the internet can be intercepted by hackers.
S) Watch what personal information you give online, try to stick to secure sites/transmissions, and be aware of sites that imitate legitimate ones. You can also use proxy servers to help prevent people from identifying/locating you.

P) Your ISP can, of course, can keep track of all communication that occurrs over their network.
S) Frankly, there's nothing you can do about that. Just hope they follow the laws and their own privacy policies (if applicable) and don't go snooping.

And, of course, if you really don't want anyone to find out you did something, don't do it in the first place. You don't have to worry about hiding something if you have nothing to hide.

Hope this helps,
John

P.S. You'll need to provide more information if you want more definitive answers/solutions.

Collapse -
proxy server
by thesfmac / October 10, 2005 3:57 PM PDT

Such a service will stealth your movements on the Internet.

I'm currently researching my options.

Can someone suggest a good one? Preferably with unlimited bandwidth, and one which secures all applications.

Thanks in advance for any help.

===
OSX 10.4.2
PowerBookG4
connect through EarthlinkDSL

Collapse -
cnet article
by thesfmac / October 10, 2005 5:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
more research on proxy servers
by thesfmac / October 21, 2005 12:19 PM PDT

Anonymizer, which everyone talks about, doesn't bother to support OSX.

Tsk!!

However, Primedius Web Tunnel does, and their free trial period worked flawlessly. They also have more useful features than Anonymizer.

Something else -- I had a tech question and wasn't even a paying client yet, but someone in Primedius' tech support was still available for me after business hours. Now that's good service and support! Anonymizer never bothered to return my voice message.

Based on the free trial and their prompt, professional help I'll be buying Primedius' Gold or Silver package soon.

More information:

http://www.primedius.com/

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.