Computer Help forum

General discussion

Privacy Report Icon on IE7

by danawenco / August 21, 2009 5:12 PM PDT

This is the first time I noticed this behavior.

When I opened IE7, and loaded my homepage (google.ca), I saw a privacy report icon (the one with an eye) at the bottom of my browser. I closed my browser, and reopened it several times, but it never showed up again.

Could anyone let me know what that is, and if I need to be concerned? I've read one other post on this forum about the eye icon but don't quite get it.

I am using Vista, SP1, and IE7.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Privacy Report Icon on IE7
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Privacy Report Icon on IE7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Probably nothing
by Jimmy Greystone / August 21, 2009 11:54 PM PDT

Probably nothing to be worried about. It could have been a fluke. Or possibly someone had penetrated Google's systems, but they caught it and eliminated it by the time you reloaded the page.

Still, you are living a bit dangerously using IE and neglecting to install SP2. Not installing any security updates and/or service packs is dangerous enough, but then adding using IE on top of that makes for something akin to playing with matches in a room full of gasoline and dynamite.

Collapse -
I have been installing all updates
by danawenco / August 22, 2009 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Probably nothing

Thanks a lot Jimmy.

Actually I have been religiously installing all Windows updates as soon as they are available (using Windows Updates). Vista SP2 has never been offered to me on Windows Update so I haven't installed it. Should I manually download it from MS?

Actually, could anyone kindly let me know what that "eye" icon is for please? I've been googling it and seems like in some instances it is valid.

Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
I found a way to reproduce it
by danawenco / August 22, 2009 12:18 PM PDT

If I start a new IE7 browser, I don't see the icon. But if I open a new tab on an existing browser, then I always see the icon. Although doing it either way loads the same homepage (google.ca).

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?