HolidayBuyer's Guide

Networking & Wireless forum

Resolved Question

Privacy and domestic providers

by combo122 / March 13, 2015 6:47 AM PDT

I have only a question. I am being hosted in a friend house where actually there is a wireless internet administrated by a guy leaving in the same building. He runs his own business selling this internet connection then he gives passwords and everything. I was wondering which is the grade of privacy. Will he be able to see all the site where customers brows, all their activity and so on? I could know basically (if he wants all the activity of the people connected to his network, including commercial, entertainment or sexual behaviors and preferences...). In this case which is the grade of privacy if he basically runs everything and for security reason he is in theory authorized to step deeply in the other people's privacy?

combo122 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Privacy and domestic providers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Privacy and domestic providers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by combo122

Collapse -
most likely he can
by renegade600 / March 13, 2015 9:46 AM PDT

You would have to ask him about privacy. In general, he would have access to anything that goes through his router, server or whatever the setup is.

Collapse -
To what extent
by combo122 / March 13, 2015 1:37 PM PDT
In reply to: most likely he can

I suspected something like this, but I was wondering to what extent...for istance if I log in sites uploading material a videos, or broadcasting, and also skype...he sees that I am uploading stuff, but could he track back my username in that website and check what I am doing, what kid of preferences I have etc... is he able to se my content as well? I understood that he could understand in which site I am browsing...but he could understand my usename and so on?

Collapse -
he could see everything
by renegade600 / March 13, 2015 8:32 PM PDT
In reply to: To what extent

without know the actual setup, there is no way to tell you what he can and cannot see. what he can sees will depend upon his technical knowledge and his setup. one thing, he could even get on your computer if your computer is not secured. If you want a bit more info, do an online search using "free wifi scams" as keywords. There are many articles of what someone can do to you if you are using their access.

If you do not trust the person, do not use their access. It could lead to legal issues for everyone if he is not an authorized service provider and someone on the network is doing something illegal.

Collapse -
I see
by combo122 / March 13, 2015 9:51 PM PDT

I think he is OK, but it is awkward situation or at least unpleasant to know that your neighbour knows everything you do on the internet and maybe he will talk about it with his friends...and others...and at this point I think he should know me, in this aspect, better of anyone else...

Collapse -
I forgot one way they won't know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2015 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: I see

Once in a while I'll boot up the TAILS OS. With that it's doubtful they'll see much other than you connecting to the TOR.

Collapse -
Answer
In my opinion no privacy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 13, 2015 9:31 AM PDT

They are the king of that domain. If you are unhappy with this arrangement, time to move on.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.