Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Prints From Lexmark Scanner - Won't Print From Anything Else

by abrogard / December 31, 2010 2:59 PM PST

My mate has a Canoni550 and today it won't work and I couldn't fix it. He has a Lexmark 4300 Scanner attached to his machine and that prints out via 'Lexmark Imaging Studio' on his machine and it prints perfectly on the Canon.

So the printer is okay and the connections must be okay, I guess.

When I try a plain print out of Notepad I get a blank piece of paper ejected - i.e. the connection is okay, the printer is initiated but it sees nothing to print.

When I try a command line 'copy con' I get nothing.

anyone got any ideas what might be the problem or how I should proceed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Prints From Lexmark Scanner - Won't Print From Anything Else
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Prints From Lexmark Scanner - Won't Print From Anything Else
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a few problems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2010 3:27 PM PST

COPY CON doesn't work on today's printers except now rare models. Since this is a printer from 2002 that's a fair life span so it's time to learn about printer drivers as well as think the printer has finally failed.
Bob

Collapse -
the point is
by abrogard / January 1, 2011 10:05 AM PST
In reply to: Just a few problems.

that the printer DOES work. Didn't i make that clear?

"...prints out via 'Lexmark Imaging Studio' on his machine and it prints perfectly on the Canon"

We all know about printer drivers and the printer has been reinstalled a number of times.

If anyone has any real knowledge of what kind of conflicts/misconfigs can cause such a hassle as this, please enlighten us.

regards,

ab

Collapse -
It's a clue
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2011 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: the point is

But given the COPY CON idea I am left to guess if you know about drivers. All skill levels arrive here so let's hear a bit more.

Bob

Collapse -
The Copy Con
by abrogard / January 1, 2011 3:26 PM PST
In reply to: It's a clue

is part of one of the troubleshooting methods - either Canon's or Microsoft's Print stuff, one of the two. It was only tried as part of following their steps.

Together with printing from notepad.

What more can I tell you? That's it. It prints fine when directed to by the Lexmark scanner. In lustrous full colour.

But won't print a test page. Goes through the motions - then ejects an empty page.

But will print in all colours including black when told to clean the heads or align the heads.

Won't print from Notepad - but goes through the motions.

It's not my printer, not at my house, so I can't do any new tests.

So that's all I know for the moment.

I've emailed my friend and told him to disconnect the scanner and retry and then to uninstall the scanner software and retry.

I forgot to make clear to him that he should reinstall the Canon driver after each of them.

So I'm just waiting to hear from him. He has many things to do. Might not look at his printer for a day or two - except, maybe, this time's a bit different because he sang out for help because there's some printing he apparently wants to get done.

Collapse -
Years ago
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2011 11:42 PM PST
In reply to: The Copy Con

I did see some combo scanner printer (2 part thing) that you could hook up a scanner to give you some copier function without using the PC.

--> If it was that old thing then when the PC can't print it's nothing more than the same old work of figuring out if it's some dead printer port, failed printer cable or the owner reinstalled Windows and forget drivers (there are too many to write about here.)

COPY CON is definitely from the old days as 2000 and beyond printers rarely print ASCII code. It was a fine thing back then but today so few printers support that, that I had to comment about it. Not that it wasn't a bad idea.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?