Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Printng when there is no File>Print

Is there a way to pring various when there is no File>Print? Example, My Documents. I would find it easier to organize My Documents if I could get a hard copy of what's there. Plus, when I delete from My Documents, the folder name is still in MS Works. If I don't have a record of when I've deleted in My Documents, and can't remember, I need to just try to open various documents in MS Works and when I get a messge that it can't be opened and may have been deleted, delete it from MS Works.

There are other such pages I have wanted to print in the past that also didn't have a File>Print button.

grandpaw7

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Printng when there is no File>Print
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Printng when there is no File>Print
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: printing.

In reply to: Printng when there is no File>Print

Grandpaw,

Tht really depends on the application. Most programs that have a File>Print also understand ctrl-P. If you've got a popup in IE without menubar, ctrl-P is the only thing to do, in fact.

But printing a list of files in a folder is a VERY different thing. You need some program to do it, because Microsoft doesn't do it for you.

You'll find a very nice and free one on http://www.karenware.com/powertools.asp. Browse down to "directory printer".
A much more basic program (not a program, in fact, but a shell add-on) is in http://windowsxp.mvps.org/PrintDirectory.htm

I would advise you to try the karenware program. But it's your choice.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks, Kees, and a queston

In reply to: Re: printing.

Kees, this may not make any sense. If not, I?ll try again.

I downloaded vbrun-setup.exe and printdir.zip from the KarenWare site. But I come to a point at which I don't know how to proceed. It is about the last step in the procedure. It is the point at which I use Folder Options to get the Edit File Type dialog box. In order to be able to type anything in, I needed to click on the New button and get the New Action dialog box. Then, per the instructions, as I read them, I type Print Directory Listing in the Acton box and printdir.bat in the "Application used to perform action" box. Then I click OK but get a message headed File Types that says the specified program could not be found. At point, I don't know what I did wrong nor do I know what to do next.

In case it's relevant, when I open the Edit File Type dialog box, it already has Print Directory typed in. But there is no Application used to perform action" box till I click the New button.

I'll give the whole scenario I want through though I hope that reading it is unnecessary.

The instructions I am referring to are at http://windowsxp.mvps.org/PrintDirectory.htm . They say to save Printdir.bat to Windows folder. When I unzipped, the stuff in the zip went into the folder at C\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\unzipped/printdir . I presume that took care of saving to a Windows folder.

The instructions say to right-click Printdir.reg file and choose merge. I did this and got a Registry Editor message asking if I wanted to add the information in the printdir.reg file to the registry. I clicked "yes", and got another Registry Editor message that it was successfully entered.

The instructions say that after I do this "Printdir.bat should be there still. Now, you should see the "Print Directory" context--menu for a folder. The above is based on "Print Directory Feature for Folders".

I don?t know what is meant by ?the ?Print Directory? contact-menu?.

When I click on Print Directory Feature for Folders, I am told to go Start>Control Panel >Folder Options>File Types and click File Folder, then click Advanced, then click New, and in the action box type Print Directory Listing.

When I do that I end up looking at a window entitled "Edit File Type". In the box under Action, it reads "Print Directory". The only way I can find a way to type in anything is by clicking the New button. That produces the New Action dialog box. I type "Print Directory Listing" in the Acton box per the instructions, and "printdir.bat" in the Application to perform action box. That produces an error message headed File Types that says the specified program could not be found.

I just don't know what I did wrong or what I should do now.

Collapse -
Question may be too burdensome

In reply to: Thanks, Kees, and a queston

Kees, this kind of question may be too involved to expect help on. If so, I understand. grandpaw

Collapse -
I think you make it much too difficult.

In reply to: Thanks, Kees, and a queston

Grandpaw,

These were two alternatives I named. You only need one of the two! Sorry for the confusion.

So unzip and install the program from Karenware. Unzip it to any - emtpy- folder you like, then run a program most like run setup.exe from that folder. When it's installed, you can just run it (from Start>Programs, or from a shortcut where-ever you like) if you want to print a 'directory list' for a folder (or a folder and its subfolders).

No need to do anything with what you downloaded from mvps (that's the right-click alternative), if the Karenware program works. You're nearly right there, by the way, but you forgot to enter the directory the stuff (printdir.bat)is in. It's not supposed to be somewhere in My Documents, but should have been in Windows (and that didn't go automatically as you mistakenly suppose). That are the details that the techies at mvps take for granted, and you don't. But I wonder why they can't write an installation routine that does everything on its own.

To continue just copy that printdir.bat to the Windows folder, and try again. Then it should work, as far as I can see from here.

Anyway, I advise you to never use that right-click option, even if you get it working (although it will be difficult to remove) and only use the installed Karenware-program, unless you don't like it at all and like the right-click way. But I really think the Karenware program is better suited for you.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Please hand me my dunce hat

In reply to: Re: printing.

Kees, I won't even try to tell you what I did. For one reason, darned if I can remember. All I now know is that I did go to the Karen website and, get the v6 thing that it said I need to install the Directory Printer program, do the clicking to download it. After that, it's just a blank. But I can see that somehow I clicked on the "right click alternative" link. I have no idea why or how that happened. I knew from your post that it was a separate alternative, and that I wanted the first one, the Karenware one.

Anyhow, not realizing how I had messed up, and thinking that those printdir.bat and reg files had to do with Karenware, I fooled around trying to figure out what was going on. Then, I just had to take a vacation from it all. Today, I returned with a somewhat clearer head and found that I never did install the KarenWare product.

I've done that and now have it on my computer to use. I've just now done that and haven't taken the time to use it yet.

Thank you, Kees, for your help. And say a little prayer for my brain while it still has some juice in it.

grandpaw

Collapse -
Hey, Kees, what a neat program!!

In reply to: Please hand me my dunce hat

And I must be getting a little better. I'm getting towhere I sometimes understand that crypto-English used by programmers. Once in a while. grandpaw

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!