Mac OS forum

General discussion

Printing word 6 document in Office X

by macnut2 / January 25, 2006 7:48 AM PST

Good evening! I have a powermac g3 with 512 mgs of ram and a 350 processor that I upgraded from 9.2.1 to 10.3. I also put Office 10 on the computer. I am able to print if I create a new document, however, when I open a document that was created in word 6, I come up with the error

The Application Word has unexpectedly quit. The system and other applications have not been affected.

What am I doing wrong. Please help. thanks Donna

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Printing word 6 document in Office X
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Printing word 6 document in Office X
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HP deskjet 6520
by macnut2 / January 25, 2006 7:50 AM PST

I forgot to mention it is a HP deskjet 6520

Collapse -
Office X
by taboma / January 25, 2006 12:44 PM PST

I have Office X that reads other and older Office versions. Word should work with all older versions. Mac and PC as well.
Try reinstalling OfficeX for the Mac again. Something sounds amiss here.
Is this an installation from a disk?
Has nothing to do with your printer.
My wife sends me Word docs. that are generated on the PC. I can read them all as well as really old word docs.

Collapse -
Printing from Office X
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 25, 2006 8:40 PM PST

I agree with Taboma that it is probably nothing to do with your printer given that it prints other documents from Word.
You might try the following:
Launch Word and open the old document from the File menu. File/Open
Once the document is open, go to File/Save As and resave the document as a Microsoft Word Document. Give it a similar, but not the same, name.
Quit Word
Launch Word and open the newly saved document and see if you can print correctly now.
Yes? Good, repeat for all the documents.
No? Bad, now we have to do this the hard way.

Let us know and I'll tell you what the hard way is

Collapse -
unable to print word 6 document in officeX
by macnut2 / January 26, 2006 8:01 AM PST
In reply to: Printing from Office X

The document opens up, but unable to print. Tried saving the document as something else- still the same problem. Also tried to copy document an paste into a new document and save as a new document, reopened the document and tried to print- print job stopped. When I create a new document in office x, it prints fine

Collapse -
How odd
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 26, 2006 9:58 AM PST

Even with a cut and paste from one document to the other, the print job still stopped.
Keep experimenting with that method. I think we know that if you retype the document it will print, so why not a cut and paste?

Collapse -
Printer problems may be fixed
by macnut2 / January 26, 2006 10:43 AM PST
In reply to: How odd

When I uninstalled and reinstalled the hp driver. Tried to copy and paste one of the poems into a new document and save as something else and it does appear to print. However, I still do not understand why I should have to rename all of the files just because they are in word 6.

Collapse -
Print Manager Problem?
by taboma / January 26, 2006 1:33 PM PST

Every once in a while I have a word doc that will not print. There is my print Manager appearing on my doc.
Your print job may be caught in a que. Needs a jump start to print the job. This is a guess on my part.

I will leave the correct procedure and terminology to mrmacfixit.

Collapse -
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 26, 2006 8:49 PM PST

there is something in the old documents that did not make the transition very well and is causing the print job lockup.
Take a look, the next time a job locks up, at the Print Manager which should be in the dock during printing.
Highlight the job you are trying to print and look everywhere for any indication that the job is Stopped. Usually find this in the Menu bar at the top. See if Resume will work.
Failing that, you are back to removing the contents of your old files to new ones.
Did you ever reinstall Office??

Collapse -
Printing and the had way?
by taboma / January 31, 2006 1:03 PM PST
In reply to: Printing from Office X

Peter, You never told us about the hard way.
What is that all about and how hard is it?
I am retracing here on the Mac Forum. Kind of nice to do at times.

Collapse -
Hard Way
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 31, 2006 8:53 PM PST

If the cut and paste method is the easy way,
think about what could be the hard way.

I might involve a lot of keyboard work

Collapse -
I hate keyboarding!
by taboma / February 2, 2006 5:01 PM PST
In reply to: Hard Way

Pete, Let's stay with the easy-way.

Pete, I retraced the original post and there was an upgrade from OS9.2 to Max OSX10.3.

How about asking the original poster, Donna, to re-trace her actions.
Still think something is amiss here.

Oh, Pete, I just thought of something:
Did Donna reinstall her print drivers?? That may be it. You can't leave in the old drivers. Have to update them to OSX I think.

A while back I had some printing problems. Could not print anything updating from OSX3 to OSX4
Reinstalled the print drivers and now from that point everything works!
May be the solution for Donna. Not really sure at this point.
Donna, try it and get back to Mrmacfixit.

Collapse -
Still just guessing?
by taboma / February 3, 2006 2:11 PM PST
In reply to: I hate keyboarding!

?here on this one Pete.
I was thinking about this discussion earlier today. Still stumps me.
Something is still amiss here. Well, I will have to go back and follow Donna's posts again.
I am not a Word person at all. Like I told you before I use it as a bridge.

I am sure you will have the answer.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?