General discussion

Printing to pdf

Hello All,

I know that there are tons of utilities to print to pdf and I use couple of them but at work (academia), our system admin refuses to install any of those utilities, even if they are freewares.

I would like to know if there are any suggestions in this situation to print to pdf, may be a word file or a webpage.

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Printing to pdf
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Printing to pdf
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
There are free ones.

I'm unsure what the system admin has to do with your machine (it's not clear) but I've used PDF995 at times.

Bob

- Collapse -
Installation rights

Since our machines are connected to the university networks, every system connected to the network has to be thoroughly checked by them and if they find anything that doesn't fit in their policy, you can't connect that machine. So nowadays, everyone uses machine that is provided by the department and they have a complete control over those machines. We are only *users*, no other rights.

- Collapse -
Ahh.

These forums are more for owners and such. If your job requires you to make a PDF then you only need to put the request in for the tools to do your job.

Seems simple to me. If your job is being impeded by the IT staff then you have to begin the shouts up the command chain to get the IT staff to perform.

Bob

- Collapse -
Already doing that

but they don't consider it as an essential as Macs have in-built pdf creator. They tell us to make pdf on macs but word document made on PC gets messed up on Mac and so pdf. Anyways, thats totally different thread to start.

If anyone knows how I can bypass kissing IT butt to get my job done, please offer suggestion. I have figured out that adobe website offers 5 free pdf after registration, pdfonline offers unlimited pdf till size of the original document is less that 2 mb.

- Collapse -
There you go.

Just req a Mac next time. No problem since they provide those.

- Collapse -
For a 10MB limit...

ThinkFree.com lets you create/edit/upload files in all MS Office 2007 formats and save as PDF. There's a 10MB limit per file uploaded but it's free and offers 1GB online storage as well. Depending on the files it may be enough to get you by.

Hope this helps,
John

- Collapse -
See if you can get Adobe Acrobat Pro installed on your

machine. It will install the tool necessary to print to a PDF file.

CNET Forums

Forum Info