PC Applications forum

General discussion

Printing to pdf

by Mindstyle06 / February 13, 2008 10:23 PM PST

Hello All,

I know that there are tons of utilities to print to pdf and I use couple of them but at work (academia), our system admin refuses to install any of those utilities, even if they are freewares.

I would like to know if there are any suggestions in this situation to print to pdf, may be a word file or a webpage.

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Printing to pdf
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Printing to pdf
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are free ones.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2008 10:27 PM PST
In reply to: Printing to pdf

I'm unsure what the system admin has to do with your machine (it's not clear) but I've used PDF995 at times.

Bob

Collapse -
Installation rights
by Mindstyle06 / February 13, 2008 10:53 PM PST
In reply to: There are free ones.

Since our machines are connected to the university networks, every system connected to the network has to be thoroughly checked by them and if they find anything that doesn't fit in their policy, you can't connect that machine. So nowadays, everyone uses machine that is provided by the department and they have a complete control over those machines. We are only *users*, no other rights.

Collapse -
Ahh.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2008 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: Installation rights

These forums are more for owners and such. If your job requires you to make a PDF then you only need to put the request in for the tools to do your job.

Seems simple to me. If your job is being impeded by the IT staff then you have to begin the shouts up the command chain to get the IT staff to perform.

Bob

Collapse -
Already doing that
by Mindstyle06 / February 14, 2008 12:11 AM PST
In reply to: Ahh.

but they don't consider it as an essential as Macs have in-built pdf creator. They tell us to make pdf on macs but word document made on PC gets messed up on Mac and so pdf. Anyways, thats totally different thread to start.

If anyone knows how I can bypass kissing IT butt to get my job done, please offer suggestion. I have figured out that adobe website offers 5 free pdf after registration, pdfonline offers unlimited pdf till size of the original document is less that 2 mb.

Collapse -
There you go.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 14, 2008 12:23 AM PST
In reply to: Already doing that

Just req a Mac next time. No problem since they provide those.

Collapse -
For a 10MB limit...
by John.Wilkinson / February 14, 2008 6:18 AM PST
In reply to: Already doing that

ThinkFree.com lets you create/edit/upload files in all MS Office 2007 formats and save as PDF. There's a 10MB limit per file uploaded but it's free and offers 1GB online storage as well. Depending on the files it may be enough to get you by.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
See if you can get Adobe Acrobat Pro installed on your
by Desperado JC / February 19, 2008 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: There are free ones.

machine. It will install the tool necessary to print to a PDF file.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?