General discussion

Printing on network?

I just purchased a new computer running Win 7 Home Premium. The problem I have is getting my Laptop (Win Vista) and my Desktop (Win 7) to share the same printer (HP Officejet 6500). The Win 7 machine will only share with other Win 7 OS. Is there a way to get the two machines to work with each other? The laptop goes though a wireless router and the desktop is wired. If I installed a wireless network adapter on the desktop would that work? The hp printer can be USB or setup for wireless. Right now it is USB because the desktop is not wireless. Does any of this make sense? Thanks for any help

Desktop-Dell Studio XPS 9000 Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Laptop-Toshiba P105-S6187 Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
Printer-HP Officejet 6500 E709N

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Printing on network?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Printing on network?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Easiest way I've found

Network printers work best if they can connect directly to the router or to a compatible print server that connects to the router or network switch. Printer sharing is full of quirks.Wired is best but wireless will work. With a printer configured this way, you just install the appropriate driver on each PC and point it to the printer port. I can't envision your setup here but if your printer is network ready, this is usually fairly simple. Any more details to offer?

- Collapse -
The clue is the wifi printer.

That printer is painful to setup but do the wifi setup NEXT TIME.

Your none wifi machine uses the router as it's path to this printer. Think it over until it becomes clear that you don't need wifi on all machines. The wifi in the router provides the connection to your lan.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info