Computer Help forum

Question

Printer Won't Print

by beachangel1 / July 8, 2012 7:53 PM PDT

I have an HP Officejet 6310 All-In-One Printer. Everything was working before I moved. When I moved and my internet was hooked up they told me I was wireless. My desktop does not have wireless so I did have to plug the cable modem to the computer. As you can see this works.

I have connected the blue ethernet cable from the printer to the back of the modem and it will not print. The printer shows ready when I go to the printer. It will not print a test page. I am not getting any type of error message.

Do you have any suggestions for me on what the problem could be? The printer is out of warranty and I'd really like to get working without contacting HP as they charge too much.

Thanks,
Renee

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Printer Won't Print
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Printer Won't Print
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Is the printer plugged into a different port now?
by Steven Haninger / July 8, 2012 10:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Printer Won't Print

Where and to what was the printer plugged into before you moved? You mentioned plugging it into the modem and also plugging in your PC to the cable modem. Are these the same device and, if so, is what you have a modem/router combination? My first thought is that your printer doesn't work because it's in a different port and that port is not defined in your PC...that it's still trying to print through the old port. What has changed from then to now in that regard might be the cause of this issue.

Collapse -
Trying Different Port
by beachangel1 / July 8, 2012 11:16 PM PDT

Just got home and will try the other ports. I remember before I moved I was using a cable modem and router with my computer and printer. The person who did the internet said with the modem is was putting in that I did not need the router anymore. Do I need to have a USB cable going from the printer to the computer? Right now I just have the printer going to the cable modem.

Collapse -
I may not have been clear
by Steven Haninger / July 9, 2012 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Trying Different Port

By plugging it into a different port, I didn't mean a different ethernet port on the same device. But it does sound as though you have a modem/router combo since you seem to have both your PC and printer plugged into the "modem". What may have happened is an IP address change. We don't know how your printer was set up before you moved but it's likely your new modem is using a different address range from the old one. This shouldn't matter if both used DHCP addressing but would matter if your printer had a static address. Is there any way you check that? You should be able to find that information under "properties" for that printer. The port settings should be viewable. In the worst case, you can delete and re-add the printer. You'd have your PC search for network printers or perhaps your printer came with discovery software such as HPs Jetadmin tool.

Collapse -
Unlikely
by Jimmy Greystone / July 9, 2012 12:17 AM PDT

Unlikely. If it was USB or ethernet, then the port shouldn't really matter. The hardware can figure that out on its own. If it were an old parallel port printer, then maybe we'd be on to something.

Now, if the IP address for the printer has changed THAT could most definitely have something to do with the issue, and it seems quite likely to be the case given that the hardware has changed. So to the OP, I would suggest running the add printer wizard thing again, and see if Windows can't find the signal your printer is broadcasting to announce itself.

Collapse -
IP Address Same
by beachangel1 / July 9, 2012 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Unlikely

I want to make sure that I understand what you are saying in that my printer should print either by ethernet cable going to the modem or usb cable going to the computer. I just wanted to confirm that I don't need both.

I called the my internet service provider and he said that the IP address was the same. The only change was the type of modem that they gave me which is a wireless modem yet because my desktop isn't wireless I do have to have the computer go to the modem to get the internet service. I'm not sure if I still have the cd and if I don't then I"m thinking I would need to get the cd from HP first then delete the printer and readd the printer.

Hope I'm making sense. I've been moving these last 4 days and have ben without A/C at my new place until just a few hours ago.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Before you moved ...
by Edward ODaniel / July 9, 2012 11:53 AM PDT

and while the printer was working was it connected to the computer with a USB cable?

That is likely the case and re-connecting it with a USB cable would get things working again.

To hook it up either wired to the network or wirelessly REQUIRES that you install the proper drivers and might also require you to set the printer IP address within the same range as the router supports.

Name the printer and model and we can likely point you to the proper drivers for ethernet.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
There are other reasons for this to not work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2012 10:09 AM PDT

I read you have a new modem+router but without the make and model I can't check to see if this one has a firewall.

Sorry but I'll not put all the technical whys here. It's a common new issue that my buddy makes good money running around turning it off.
Bob

Collapse -
Answers To Both Replys
by beachangel1 / July 9, 2012 7:07 PM PDT

The make and model is HP Officejet 6310 All-In-One. I don't think it was connected to the computer as I did not find a USB cable in the box that had everything from the computer and printer in it.

The modem is a Arris DG950.

Let me know what I should do and will try your suggestions.

Collapse -
I see a firewall on page 23 of link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2012 7:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Answers To Both Replys
Collapse -
That Did Not Work
by beachangel1 / July 10, 2012 7:49 AM PDT

I turned off the firewall on the Arris modem and restarted my computer. I tried to print a test page from the printer and that did not print.

This really has me stumped. Do you have any other suggestions? I don't know what else to try. I just it find it strange how it printed the day before the move and now it doesn't print.

Collapse -
It's just one of many little things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2012 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: That Did Not Work

Next we uninstall and reinstall the printer driver. I have to do that when I have a change in my network and I don't have time to look at the network firewall in the OS or Antivirus.
Bob

Collapse -
Will Do
by beachangel1 / July 10, 2012 9:04 AM PDT

I will try that. It might be a few days before I am able to do that as I need to get unpacked. Once I try that I will come back and let you know the status.

Thanks for all the help.

Collapse -
While you're at it
by Steven Haninger / July 10, 2012 10:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Will Do

It might be good to make certain you have the latest drivers available.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=18972&prodSeriesId=1120059&taskId=135

I'm not seeing a reference to your OS but pay attention to the 32 bit and 64 bit choices and select the correct file for your OS if you're using Vista or Windows 7. With a little luck, the installation wizard will find the printer on its own but it's a good idea to have some idea about the port address or printer name if not. My personal preference with network printers is to use a static IP address rather than DHCP (router assigned) as it makes troubleshooting easier if a printer disappears.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.