HolidayBuyer's Guide

Desktops forum

General discussion

Printer troubles

by Anastasius Vetch / August 3, 2006 10:36 PM PDT

I have a Sony computer with a Windows XP operating system. I have a Lexmark Z52 printer which is giving me problems.

Lexmark has been very good and patiently walked me through everything in the book to get it working properly again including sending me a new cartridge, but without any success. The print-out is very poor quality, blurred in certain parts with certain letters distorted ONLY when printing from the word processor. If I print from the Internet (for instance if I printed out this page) the printer works fine. This makes me think that it is a Microsoft Word problem, could this be the cause and if so how do I fix it please?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Printer troubles
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Printer troubles
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Printer Troubles
by skycatcher / August 4, 2006 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Printer troubles

If you have the CD for MS Office, you could try an un-install and re-install of Office but that sound a bit drastic so... a few checks...

1) Go to http://www.trendmicro.com (the PC-cillin people- so it's a trusted site) and run their Free Virus Scan (Housecall) - it checks for EVERYTHING, not just viruses - it will even tell you if there is a Windows update you haven't done. This will also check for Spyware, Greyware, Malware etc. etc. This is always first port of call for unusual problems - bugs can cause all sorts of strange things.

2) Do a Scandisk (chkdsk) or whatever XP uses for it's re-boot disk check.

3) Are you fully up-to-date with Windows Update AND.... Office Update...? If not, run both... there may be a glitch that they now have a patch for.

4) Try using a different Font... instead of Times New Roman which is usually the MS-Word default font. If this prints OK, you may have a bad Times New Roman font so remove it and re-install it with a good copy (ask a friend for a copy if you can't get at one on a CD). Or does XP have a font repair program, I can't remember.

5) I'm guessing that Lexmark have already told you to download their new Z52 drivers for XP...?
http://downloads.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/downloads.cgi?ccs=227:5:0:292:0:0&searchLang=en&os_group=WinXP&target=
There are 2 driver here and you will probably need both.

... Hope this helps or at least eliminates a few lines of enquiry. Please let us all know how you get on.

Collapse -
To Skycatcher
by Anastasius Vetch / August 4, 2006 1:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: Printer Troubles

WOW! Thank you very much Skycatcher for taking the time to give me such a detailed reply. You have certainly given me enough new things to try. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks again, Patty.

Collapse -
To Skywatcher
by Anastasius Vetch / August 5, 2006 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: To Skycatcher

Well, SUCCESS!! I finally solved my printer problems with your help. I followed all the instructions you gave me, Virus Scan, Scandisk check, Windows and Office Update, Downloaded a new driver, gave my printer a good clean, then installed a new cartridge and for the first time in months I did not get the error message ''Trouble communicating with the printer'' it printed beautifully!

Thank you so much for your help, (its also worked wonders for my stomach which clenched in a tight knot every time I attempted to print something out)
GOOD WORK.

Collapse -
To Skycatcher
by Anastasius Vetch / August 5, 2006 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: To Skywatcher

Sorry, I got your name wrong in my last post Sad I tried to get it back to change it but too late...

Collapse -
That's OK...
by skycatcher / August 13, 2006 8:55 PM PDT
In reply to: To Skycatcher

Being a keep paraglider pilot, I do a lot of Skywatching as well

Glad it's all OK

Bye...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.