General discussion

printer static IP address wont stay assigned on LAN

Im trying to install a Konica Minolta Di2010 copier/printer on our companies LAN. The DHCP does not seem to work and when I enter a static IP, Subnet Mask and Gateway, and then re-boot it everything is gone. For some reason I cannot get it to save any settings I make to it.

Am I missing an access code or something? Any input or advice would really be appreciated. We need to get this thing up and running.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: printer static IP address wont stay assigned on LAN
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: printer static IP address wont stay assigned on LAN
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Did you already ask Konica/Minolta tech support?

They should know how to get it working.

Kees

- Collapse -
Firmware?

I Called and they thought it might be the firmware but said they would have to send someone out to check it out. I dont even know what firmware is..

- Collapse -
How about . . .

If the printer has an Ethernet port, just plug it into the router (LAN). Let the router make the assignment, then on the PCs, have them look for a networked printer.

- Collapse -
The DHCP does not seem to work

That's a sign it is not connected to your company LAN.

OR your IT staff didn't set it up to allow you to add other machines than what they allow as a security precaution.

You wrote you don't know what firmware is and since this is a company I suggest you let your company IT staff fix this.
Bob

- Collapse -
I didnt mention "small company"

We have about 10 employees and 3 of us do most of the IT. I have the ethernet cable connected to the printers port and the LAN router. The printer seems to asign itself an IP address of 11.22.33.44 and a subnet mask of 255.ooo.ooo.

On my PC, when I "ping the router" if thats the correct term, I see an IP something like 195.268.01.35, subnet mask 255.255.255, and gateway similar to the IP address.

I then read online somewhere that If I enter similar digits to the above but increment the last digit so it does not match any other addresses of other devices, then that would be a static ip address and after turning it on and off, and then installing the printer on my PC using the corresponding numbers, it should work? The problem is that it doesn't. save the info in the printer.

Incidently, I was trying to be a hero and bought the network card online to install in the copier to make it a network printer thereby saving the company the $ of buying a new printer. I'm beginning to regret sticking my neck out but if I can make it work It would make my day.

I've already got it working as a shared printer connected to a network PC but it stops working every 10 prints or so and has to be re-started to work again. I'm hopeing the problem goes away if its installed on the LAN properly.

Thanks for your replies so far, any other suggestions?

- Collapse -
That's a clue that DHCP is not working.

You didn't reveal what is handing out the addresses and a small company has to decide if they need this or not (IT staff.) Sometimes the small companies have to call in the help when it comes to the deeper tech stuff.

But the DHCP not working is a fine clue. Time to check the ethernet wiring, the printer settings and more. As to manually entering the address, I no longer bother. Why? It tends to create more support calls.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info