Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Printer spooling requires admin account

by Szyfrow / August 8, 2008 8:38 AM PDT

Hi,

When setting printer to spooling, printing is only possible under admin account. Otherwise any program from which I'm trying to print just hangs.
WinXP (SP2), Dell Optiplex GX260, HP DJ-930C.
Anybody any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Printer spooling requires admin account
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Printer spooling requires admin account
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The usual.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2008 9:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
Printer spooling
by Szyfrow / August 8, 2008 5:20 PM PDT
In reply to: The usual.

Tomshardware doesn't help. Also, I'm not shure that I have such directory setting as you are asking for. I'm talking XP Home version here (forgot to mention that)does that make a difference? I have a share tab, not a security or settings tab, and its options are greyed out because the directory is used by the system.

Collapse -
Good luck.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2008 11:31 PM PDT
In reply to: Printer spooling

There may be more to your story but since we can't talk about permissions, ownership and more then this tells me you need to just set the account so it works until you learn more about this OS.
Bob

Collapse -
Learning by doing
by Szyfrow / August 9, 2008 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Good luck.

Let's not jump to conclusions and have some patience please! Sad Being an experienced user I know a little about many OS, just what I need to know. For the rest I'm learning by doing and I'm not afraid of experimenting and delving deep. Happy

So, now I know you can manage permissions in XP Home and here we go: permissions: everyone / full control.
Wich security settings do you want me to check? Please help me solving this because for security reasons I don't want to always login on an admin account.

BTW I made a mistake in my initial post. Program doesn't hang. Print job appears in in the printer screen, telling me that printing is in progress. Next, print job disappears but no actual printing happens.

Collapse -
"in XP Home" there are nuances.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2008 12:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Learning by doing

And where we have to adjust such in safe mode.

Since the limited user can't write to said directory, why would you think this matters?

Also, the issue could find a ready answer with the printer's maker. I have to use the old ways to get to the answer since that's how I solve it. Sadly this can tax some that are not deep in this OS.

-> Why not ask it's maker why this didn't work?

Collapse -
Just set your account up as an administrator
by Dango517 / August 9, 2008 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Learning by doing

This is the path ... Start>Control Panel>User accounts>Change your account type>choose Administrator. That easy. That is, if you have those rights.

This thread untracked

Collapse -
I agree with this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2008 12:49 AM PDT

"Anyway the best advice I can give is try reinstalling the printer. Or
setting up a second limited account and seeing if they can print maybe
something is messed up with the first account."

"Wonder of wonders - I turned OFF print spooling at the administrator
account and now the limited account prints"

While I've been able to dissect why this happens the trips to regedit, event viewer, permissions of files, registry is more than I'll write about here.

Try the new account and printer driver uninstall, install before, after the new account.

-> WHY MUST PRINTER SPOOLING WORK?

More at http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/t181341-xp-home-nonadmin-user-cant-print.html

Bob

Collapse -
Will try a lead in your link
by Szyfrow / August 9, 2008 1:16 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree with this.

I'm in safe mode now on an admin account and ready to jump in.

First I'll try and follow-up on this lead, derived from the link you provided:

<How about for each user creating a My Documents\Spool folder and setting the spooler to spool via a users directory rather than a system (as it is now) directory.>

Collapse -
Registry tweak - no result
by Szyfrow / August 9, 2008 2:46 AM PDT

Changed the printspooler directory in the registry. Didn't change the problem a bit. Shared the directory with all users. No results.
Logon to printspooler service is set to Local systemaccount, which is OK I gather ... is it?

Maybe it is a printer / printer driver specific issue. I'll turn to HP now first.

BTW, OS is XP Professional after all (came pre-installed on a 2nd hand, so I really dind'nt take good notice Happy )

Thank you for thinking along, bye for now!

Szyfrow

Collapse -
(NT) WHY MUST PRINTER SPOOLING WORK?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2008 2:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
Why spooling
by Szyfrow / August 9, 2008 3:23 AM PDT

Because I can work on while printer is chewing on a document.

Also (related issue maybe?) the system leaves me waiting for about 1 min before starting if I set printer to print directly to printer and printing is done from a user account, which is quite annoying. When logged on as admin, with the same setting the printer starts immediately after giving the print command.

Collapse -
Then the OS is corrupt.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2008 4:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Why spooling

Since the new account didn't fix it, the uninstall, reinstall of printer drivers didn't affects it then this is a busted, corrupted OS. I rarely call it such but given the story so far I don't see any way out except to wipe the drive and load the OS again.
Bob

Collapse -
Not convinced ... yet
by Szyfrow / August 9, 2008 5:35 AM PDT

Uhm, not convinced ... yet. Other then this print issue I'm having no probs. OS is running like a charm and I'd rather not touch it - until hit by a trojan dropper Happy Let's see what HP has to say about this.

See you another time around maybe!

Collapse -
Odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 9, 2008 5:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Not convinced ... yet

I didn't see anything about trojan dropper in your first post. Maybe I missed that.

You do know it tampers with some things and worse, their remote control lets them do whatever they want. The OS is now officially tampered with. Maybe a call to Microsoft (figure about 90 bucks) could fix this one. For me, in this remote control mode of text only I can't do much more than note the obvious issue of rights in the spool directory.
Bob

Collapse -
No worries
by Szyfrow / August 9, 2008 7:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd.

No worries, I've encountered no trojan dropper yet. Just trying to convey that I'm not ready to re-install XP unless I really need to. Happy

Well, nice meeting you. See another time, Bob!

Collapse -
Printer problem solved (in the most basic way)
by Szyfrow / August 12, 2008 11:48 PM PDT
In reply to: No worries

Hi Bob,

After posting my problem I've solved it following the default problem solving protocol, namely start from scratch: uninstall printer, download printer driver again and install printer. Running fine now. So, must have been a question of a corrupt driver, or may be even the wrong driver. I had tried several solutions before posting and I can't remember if I tried following the steps above (and in the same order) ... probably not.

My apologies for taking your time while the problem could be solved in the most basic way! Sad
And, once again, thank you for thinking along!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.