Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

printer sharing problem.

by dsinnie / November 22, 2004 5:06 AM PST

Someone please help i have a lexmark z605 ink jet printer. i have it connected to a maching running XP i would like to share it with a machine running ME, everytime i try and install the driver on the ME machine the printer appears in the list for a moment then disappears. now file shareing is working like a charm and the ME machine does show up when asked for the path to the networked printer? i don't understand please shed some light thanks.. also i tried to setup the me printer drivers on XP because from my understanding i wouldn't have to do it on the ME is i did that but they won't seem to install on my XP machine.. i am lost please help. thqanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: printer sharing problem.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: printer sharing problem.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: printer sharing problem.
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 22, 2004 5:34 AM PST

Let's talk about one machine at a time. First, the XP machine where the printer is connected. In order for the printer to run correctly on either machine, it first needs to be installed correctly on the XP. Make sure that the printer software is installed on the machine and that the printer will correctly print on the XP.

After that's done, then make sure that you have "File and Printer Sharing" enabled on the XP machine. Open the Control Panel, double click on the "Network Connections" icon, then RIGHT click on the "Local area connection" icon that belongs to your network, choose 'Properties" from the little menu. In the middle of the box should be a listing for "File and Printer Sharing For Microsoft Networks". Make sure there is a CHECK mark in the box next to it. Click on OK to close the window.

Now make sure that the printer is being "shared" on the network by clicking on Start-Printers and FAXes, then RIGHT click on the printer you want to share. Choose "Sharing" from the menu, then make sure to "Share" the computer and give the appropriate permissions.

Now, because I always install the drivers on both machines, if I can....try installing the printer software on the Windows ME machine and navigate to the Windows XP machine to identify the printer there.. When asked, it's a "network" printer and I assume you want to make it the default printer.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 23, 2004 4:20 AM PST

Grif's last paragraph is the method I had to use today.

I have an Epson printer attached to my XP computer, and I lost sharing of it on my networked ME computer.

I could see that it was shared in the XP machine but it was not showing up in Start > Settings > Printer on the ME machine.

So in that window I double clicked "Add Printer", and worked through the add printer wizard. Where it asked if this was a networked printer I said yes, and then it searched the network and gave me a choice of one, which was the Epson printer.

Fortunately I didn't have to install any drivers manually. The wizard found them for me.

Collapse -
by glb613 / November 22, 2004 7:09 PM PST

Do you have these computers networked? You must do that first or there is no way for them to share a printer or anything else.

Collapse -
by dsinnie / December 1, 2004 9:33 PM PST

no kidding.

Collapse -
Yep, No Kidding !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 2, 2004 1:11 AM PST

One of the last requests in your first post of this thread was: "I am lost please help".

Hopefully, you realize that we can only respond based on what you tell us and this IS a "Newbies" forum. Your first post indicated that some type of network sharing issue could be responsible for your printer problem. The forum members here give suggestions, not because they're paid to do so, but because they're trying to help. Based on your response above, we DON'T get any information about whether you have solved the problem and we DON'T know what you have tried at this point.

Unfortunately, based on your response above, we DO start to understand the type of person you are and whether you really want help....Have you solved the issue or do you still need assistance?

Please be nice.

Collapse -
by dsinnie / January 20, 2005 11:36 PM PST
In reply to: Yep, No Kidding !

no never did solve the problem but i upgraded the me machine to xp, works fine now. ME just was a waste of my time anyways. thanks for the help though.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Dsinnie, Thanks For Posting Back
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 22, 2005 9:40 AM PST
In reply to: solved.
Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?