General discussion

Printer sharing not working anymore

Hello there,

I am gonna describe my problem as cleary and concise as possible :

I have a desktop computer running under windows XP Professional SP3 that has a wireless card in order to connect to my router at home. On this PC i have setup an HP laser printer and enabled the sharing of it through my router.

I have 3 laptops, who are perfectly able to use that printer without any problem. Of course, everytime I had to turn on the desktop PC in order for the sharing to take place but that's not the point.

On one of the laptops (a Sony Vaio) running under Windows Vista, a problem of windows live messenger and wifi occured, and I was able to solve it by creating a new user profile and deleting the old one. Now here comes the problem : Since I have created a new user, i am not able by any means to use the HP printer anymore on the Vaio ! ! It accepts to set up the driver and everything, and recognize it and is able to locate it on the network, but when i come to print the test page, it gives me an error message (i forgot what it is since it's in french, but it's something related to the right of accessing the printer). When i try to print things other than the test page, it doesn't work either, but it doesn't give me any message. It just doesn't print.

I tried everything i can think of, uninstall all printer drivers from that laptop and reinstall them, also uninstalled the printer driver from the desktop pc and reinstalled it on it and on all the laptops but still, no improvement. As for the other laptops they don't have any problem at all with printing, and they're also running under windows vista.

If anyone ever encountered this problem or has any solution, i'd be glad if you could help me out !

PS : I am really worried that deleting the first user on the Vaio might have been a big mistake. The HP printer, upon receiving the order to print from the Vaio, might try communicating with the old user (I might be wrong but that's what i was thinking since on the desktop pc i was able to track the users who can access the printer)

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Printer sharing not working anymore
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Printer sharing not working anymore
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That's a common issue.

When you create a new user that USER also needs to be created on machines that serve up printers and shares. Many forget that item when it comes to Windows networking.

Let's hope it's the usual accounts issues.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks for the quick reply !

thanks a lot Bob for the quick reply !

Can you please tell me how to do that ? You mean creating a new user from my desktop on which the printer is installed right ?

CNET Forums

Forum Info