HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Printer Sharing for Dummies...and *I'm* the Dummy!

by *Stargazer77* / February 20, 2008 7:52 AM PST

Hi everyone, I need some help. I want to set up a printer share for a laptop. I have a wireless router hardwired to a desktop (running Vista Home Premium). I can wirelessly print from a 2nd desktop (XP) and a laptop (Vista HP). I just got a new Toshiba laptop (Vista HP) and I'd like to set that up to print wirelessly as well. I just don't know how to do it. On the new laptop I tried to go to control panel --> hardware and sound --> add a printer --> add a network, wireless or bluetooth printer, but the search comes up with no available printers (even though the wired desktop and printer are turned on). Any help given would be appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Printer Sharing for Dummies...and *I'm* the Dummy!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Printer Sharing for Dummies...and *I'm* the Dummy!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can You 'See' The Printer?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 8:11 AM PST

First, let's make this clearer for me.. At this point, you're trying to print from the new Toshiba Vista laptop to the wired Vista desktop. Is that correct?

If so and IF you can "see" the printer from the Toshiba laptop, then try adding the printer as a "LOCAL" printer.. (Yes, I know that is' a network machine but Vista is a little quirky about that.)Then, finally, per another post in the Networking forum:

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name. Type in the \\computer name\printer name ie. My computer's name is "basement" and the printer name is EpsonSty so I typed in \\basement\epsonsty

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
I can't 'see' the printer...
by *Stargazer77* / February 20, 2008 8:42 AM PST

Hi Grif, thanks for your quick reply! Yes, I'm trying to print from the new Toshiba (and Vista) laptop to the wired Vista Desktop. I can't see the printer. I also went into the network and sharing center from the control panel and printer sharing is off (perhaps that's why I can't 'see' my printer...which is an Epson Stylus 6400 btw). When I click turn on printer sharing it asks me if I want to turn on network discovery and file sharing for all public networks. I don't know what that means. The Toshiba laptop is for my dad and I don't want his privacy compromised, just want him to be able to print from bed. Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Yep, You Need To Enable The Printer Sharing
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 10:08 AM PST
Collapse -
Try the free tools.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 9:21 AM PST

Look at NETWORK MAGIC (google.com) and use their free software.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.