Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

printer problem ? nothing on paper after printing

by shclarkson / November 18, 2005 8:49 PM PST

i have a lexmark Z601 printer whitch worked fine till i re-filled the color cartridge for the 3rd time,is there a limit on how many times you can re-fill them?
there is ink in the cartridge and there is ink on the print head so why does it not print on the paper?
anybody any ideas? or should i just buy a new cartridge?

thanks steve

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: printer problem ? nothing on paper after printing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: printer problem ? nothing on paper after printing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Refilled?
by Coryphaeus / November 18, 2005 10:05 PM PST

Ooops. Tried to save a little money?

What you've found is that the refill kits DO NOT match the chemical makeup of the original ink. The original ink has special properties and lubricants made specifically for the printer. Using a refill kit ink has probably clogged the print head. And since the ink is not the correct chemical makeup, trying to clean the head just puts more bad ink into the head.

You might try using the correct ink cartridge and hopefully it will purge the problem. Otherwise a new printer will be in order as replacing the print head can cost as much or more that a new printer.

Wayne

Wrinkles only go where smiles have been - JB
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
And re Wayne's comment
by Ray Harinec / November 19, 2005 1:02 AM PST

Lexmark cartridge prices are outrageous. If you can't get the heads clean, do an analysis of the total cost of a new printer, including whether the cartridges that come with it are the full rather than starters, and also the life and cost of replacement cartridges. You may find that Canon, HP, or Epson are far better buys than a Lexmark.

Collapse -
An addition
by PudgyOne / November 19, 2005 1:06 AM PST
In reply to: And re Wayne's comment

An addition to Wayne's and Ray's comments

Please make sure that the tabs are pulled off at the bottom of the cartridges
and always try to buy a new replacement for Lexmark Printers.

I went to a place that refills cartridges and the color quality was poor. Had to buy a new one any way.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
A possibility...
by John.Wilkinson / November 19, 2005 1:32 AM PST

As the others stated, there's a good chance that the ink you used was not a close enough match for your printer, and has damaged the cartridge. If that's the case, you can try soaking the printer head in distilled water, but the cartridge is probably shot. However, there is another possibility:

What is the ink level indicator reporting? I'm not sure about Lexmark, but most printer manufacturers try to deter the end user from refilling their ink cartridges. For instance, HP uses two methods. First, there is an expiration date on each cartridge, which is checked against the currect date. If the expiration date has passed, it will refuse to print using that cartridge.

The second is that it keeps track of the last three cartridge serial numbers used, and how much was printed from each of them. It uses this data to estimate how much ink was used, and thus how much remains. (That's how the ink level indicator works.) However, the printer logs this information, and will refuse to print once it thinks the cartridge should be empty. The way around this is to cycle four (since it only remembers the last three) cartridges through the printer. Since I don't want to have to keep four cartridges laying around, I searched the internet and found that placing a piece of tape over two of the contacts will trick the printer into thinking it's a new cartridge. You can use this to "cycle through" 3 fake cartridges, then remove the tape, put the refilled cartridge back in, and use it until it runs out, at which time you repeat the process. (it sounds like a pain, but it's relatively fast and simple.)

If the printer software is indeed reporting that the cartridge is empty, you may want to do an internet search for instructions on how to do the above for your model. Aside from that, you're left with the choice of purchasing a new Lexmark cartridge or a cartirdge from a third-party vendor, which is typically much cheaper.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
thanks john
by shclarkson / November 19, 2005 8:49 PM PST
In reply to: A possibility...

thank you for your advise this was far the best help ive had,i tryed covering the contacts but did not work this maybe because i realy dont know which ones i should be covering up.
i think i may have to decide on a new cartridge or a new printer anyways thanks steve.

Collapse -
got brand new cartridge still not working?
by shclarkson / November 25, 2005 3:07 AM PST
In reply to: A possibility...

decieded to buy a new color cartrige(lexmark brand)but still not printing on paper?
i allso got a new black one too which works fine but the new color will not print on paper dont know why?
any help please

Collapse -
Suggestions...
by John.Wilkinson / November 25, 2005 8:46 AM PST

I'd try using a clean cloth (dry or moist with distilled water) to clean off the contacts, followed by the uninstallation/reinstallation of the printer software. If that doesn't fix the problem, try printing a test page (using the Lexmark Solution Center) so that you can skip a step later when speaking with tech support.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
re suggestions
by shclarkson / November 25, 2005 10:32 PM PST
In reply to: Suggestions...

hi john,thanks for you reply tryed your suggestions but still the new color cartridge will not print i think its because its not recognizing its new,i think this because when you go to install a new cartridge it shows YES,ITS A OLD ONE but i keep changing this to NO,ITS A NEW ONE, but if you go back into install a new cartridge again its gone back to NO,ITS A OLD ONE again.
anyway ive sent a email to tec/support to see if they can help me.
will let you know what they come up with.

thanks steve.

Collapse -
You can try this
by PudgyOne / November 25, 2005 1:06 PM PST
Collapse -
re you can try this
by shclarkson / November 25, 2005 10:36 PM PST
In reply to: You can try this

thanks tryed this but still no joy i have emailed tec/support for help.

see my reply re suggestions for more details.

thanks steve.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!