Computer Help forum

General discussion

printer problem driving me crazy

I have a lexmark z51 printer (junk I know) and it is giving me problems. Whenever I try to print something, it would print about 1-2 lines of it, then stop, giving me a print head error. Today, I just spent $70 on a new color and black ink cartridge because I thought that would fix it. However, it failed to.

The thing is, it can print pages from Internet Explorer and notepad just fine. It can even print out the Lexmark test page fine. However, on Microsoft Word, or other word processors, it stops printing after the first line or so. It even happens when it tries to print out a "printer alignment" page. Can anyone help?

I've checked the connections several times, everything seems to be fine. Any help would be greatly appricated.

(On Windows 2000, with the latest drivers and firmware upgrade.)

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: printer problem driving me crazy
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: printer problem driving me crazy
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: printer problem driving me crazy

In reply to: printer problem driving me crazy

It appears your problem is from the system rather than the printer itself. If you can do a test page that pretty much rules out the prtr. The failure to do an align. page suggests still a communications with the system as that's where it gets generated from. If you haven't already do a re-install. Also, clean the contacts where the ink carts seat with a clean cloth of any grit/grim. I know that's a common suggestion, but Lexmark's tend to be really system dependant. Below is the link for Lexmark's support page:

:291ShockedShocked&emeaframe=&target=&">http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/support.cgi?ccs=229:1Shocked:291ShockedShocked&emeaframe=&target=&

:291ShockedShocked&framed=&docid=143&relevance=1">http://support.lexmark.com/cgi-perl/knowledgebase.cgi?ccs=229:1Shocked:291ShockedShocked&framed=&docid=143&relevance=1
The above link refers to failed align. test

good luck -----Willy Happy

Collapse -

"Microsoft Word and other wordprocessors"
Such as? Tried Openoffice? WordPerfect? Wordpad? And how about Excel, Powerpoint, MS Access, MS Photo-editor? Able to print graphics from IE?
Just trying to localise the problem.

If USB-printer and USB on motherboard: correct motherboard-drivers installed? Can you try a parallel interface, or isn't it supported by this printer anymore?

Tried repair of MS Office, if the problem is limited to MS Office?

Hope this helps.

Kees
Collapse -

If your using spooling.

Try playing with spool data format.
Try turning spooling off.
=================
If your connected via a parallel port.

Look in your bios and see what the config for that port is.
Mine has a few options.

Collapse -

to answer some questions, I'm on a parallel connection, not usb. I've uninstalled/installed it more than 5 times so far. I also checked my bios settings and changed it to ECP from bi-directional but the same problem exists.

however, it seems that color pages work fine, even color pages with some black. a word document in all green text printed out fine. it seems that everytime it gets across lines of black text, it will stop printing after 1 line. I've cleaned just about every part that should be cleaned yet the problem still isn't solved.

please help, I've only got 5 days until college move-in and I need the printer to be working asap.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: printer problem driving me crazy

Here's the deal. These printers work for about 2 years and if they glitch, I've learned that with the price of ink equal to the price of a new printer I'm cautious to pick up a new printer rather than chance it that the printer just needed ink.

You may fight this for quite some time and I can't make a dead printer come back with just words, but know to try the printer on another machine as a test. If it fails, a new printer is obtained.

Bob

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: printer problem driving me crazy

When I was a student, one of my best friends used to write everything with a fountain-pen filled with green ink. You'll give your assignments a definite personal look by printing everything in blue. If Lexmark (like Canon) has separate ink-tanks for each color, it won't even be more expensive.
For printing black, the Bob's suggestion might be the best.

Kees

Collapse -

I really should be getting a new printer (and a new computer for that matter) however I am extremely low on funds. That's why I cannot give up just yet.

I've been playing around with it and it seems to print fine on highest speed (lowest quality) mode, normal and high quality have problems. could ram be an issue? only 128 mb rambus on this machine.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.