Question

Printer problem

I have iMac OS X, 10.6.7, 3.06 Ghz, 4 GB. HP Officejet 6500 E710n-z printer. I am new to the Mac. Problem - the only way I can print is to disconnect the printer entirely and plug back in. The printer shows up in the hardware list via a USB port and is the only printer connected - designated default printer. I am not using the fax capability. When I look at the status of the printer waiting for it to print - the message says "waiting for the printer to become available". The current status right now shows idle. I have spent hours with HP help desk trying to solve. Office Depot switched out printer for me thinking it was a (?) loop problem with the 1st machine. This may make me sound very computer savvy - please believe me, I am not! I can continue to plug and unplug, but it sure would be nice to click print and have it happen! Thanks.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Printer problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Printer problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Is the printer connected directly to the Mac

or is it connected to a USB hub?
Have you tried it in a different USB port?
<div>
Have you tried the wireless printing option? If so, does it do the same thing?

- Collapse -
The printer is connected directly

The printer is connected to the USP port on the back of the computer. I have tried all of the ports, bought new cable. The help desk did take me to Air-something (wireless), but had the same problem. I just looked and AirPort On is grayed and AirPort Off is bold. I assume that means that I am not wireless? I did dl whatever HP said to dl for this printer to work for the Mac. I am hooked into a Netgear router - fairly new - b/c of 2 separate computers with cable access.
What is so confusing to me is: the printer is "there", it will print after unplugging and replugging. Why doesn't it work without having to break the connection?

- Collapse -
Posting

I show 3 posts but only see 2. Am I missing the connect link or does that 3 include my original question?

- Collapse -
Sometimes the counter gets confused,

currently there are 5 posts, counting this one, in this thread.

- Collapse -
Thanks for the suggestions

I have been away from the computer and will not be able to try any of the suggestions until the weekend. How do I connect with an ethernet cable to the router? Not even sure what an ethernet cable is! My Mac is connected to the router. I do have the fan shaped icon in the menu bar.

- Collapse -
(NT) Let's try the Gutenprint drivers first
- Collapse -
could be a driver problem

To sort out this potential problem, I would download and install Gutenprint drivers (at http://gimp-print.sourceforge.net; current version is 5.2.6). I had some problems with Apple-supplied HP drivers and when I switched to Gutenprint all's well and fast. The download is free.

- Collapse -
Gutenprint drivers

If I dl and install that driver and it doesn't work, can I easily switch back to what I have currently?

- Collapse -
You should be able to

Just choose add printer and choose a different driver when prompted. But in my experience, Gutenprint drivers are more reliable than HP.

CNET Forums