Peripherals forum

Resolved Question

PRINTER PRINTS BLANK PAGES

Recently our wireless Epson printer started printing only empty pages for black (no color) documents.

The black cartridge is nearly full, but the color cartridges are empty.

Can empty color cartridges prevent the printer from printing a purely B&W document?

Thanks,

Alan

LaptopAlan has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: PRINTER PRINTS BLANK PAGES
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: PRINTER PRINTS BLANK PAGES
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by LaptopAlan

Collapse -
Printers use a small amount of colour to print B&W.

In reply to: PRINTER PRINTS BLANK PAGES

So you need colour to print B&W. It's to keep the heads clear.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks! Makes sense. Much appreciated! Alan

In reply to: Printers use a small amount of colour to print B&W.

Collapse -
Previous answer seems correct but you could try this

In reply to: Thanks! Makes sense. Much appreciated! Alan

If your printer allows you to select B&W only, try that. I recall that, at one time, drivers for some color capable printers could even be installed as black and white only.

Collapse -
Thank you, Steven!...

In reply to: Previous answer seems correct but you could try this

Hi Steven,

Thanks for responding! Much appreciated.

Something interesting happened when I tried to apply your advice: I printed a letter from WORD, and it printed just fine, even though the color of the text was blue (it's text only, no graphics).

I have no idea how this is possible as the Epson is telling me that it's out of ink (except for the black). Maybe there's a tiny bit of color remaining and that enabled the document to print?

One other thing (and it's a long-shot): The document I was originally trying to print (unsuccessfully) is a PDF. I can't imagine how that could make a difference, but I admit I'm in a bit over my head here...

Thanks again.

Alan

Collapse -
Re: printing

In reply to: Thank you, Steven!...

So it prints blue (although it's nearly empty), and it doesn't print black (although it's nearly emtpy).

So it seems time to start the usual cleaning and self-test procedures (including using third-party cleaning cartridges). Those always work with my Canon; no experience with Epson.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks...

In reply to: Re: printing

Thanks, Kees...

To clarify: the black cartridge is nearly full. The 2 color cartridges are nearly empty.

The Epson doesn't do its Clean (or Head Alignment) functions unless none of the 3 cartridges are empty (and I'm hesitant to spend $35 or so on new color cartridges if the printer's kaput - it's a Catch 22!).

Thanks again,

Alan

Collapse -
Re: cartridges

In reply to: Thanks...

Sorry, I made a typo indeed. I realised it after posting it.

My (third-party) Canon cartridges are only 3.5 euro (less than USD 4.5). It's easier to spend $13.5 than $35. But in your case, it's difficult.

Kees

Collapse -
Will it work or not...

In reply to: Thanks...

You have an Epson, bad already. The plain fact as explained or allow me, Epson and many others use the process of head cleaning to refresh the printheads. That also allows ALL inkjets to use all inks in order to do so. Most modern inkjets don't print in "B&W-mono" anymore because they spend ink carts as the side benefit to companies. Epson has a bad record of when it fails, it fails miserably. recovery is cleaning the printheads, repeatedly until the "ink clogs" are removed. Of course, this takes more ink and the cost of OEM ink is expensive. As the other poster mentioned, Canon does well on refills or 3rd party inks, Epson doesn't. That all depends on the refiller source and vendors, etc., but it seems Canon is more tolerate. Visit Epson support website and follow their advise of head cleaning if you have the inks. However, if you abandon your current printer then consider *NEVER* allowing the ink to get that low or when it does, replace ASAP. Maybe, wait for a bargain or sale and get something other than Epson.

Understand any printer that uses 3rd party tends to lose warranty support, thus use when warranty is gone. I like to mention, I found HP and Canon to offer the better overall use, though others may claim otherwise, just take it or leave approach. I lean towards Canon for the nod, though, cost of operation and general upkeep is pretty good.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Thanks!

In reply to: Will it work or not...

Thanks, Willy!

For those who might find this thread in the future I wanted to provide an update: I just discovered a line in the Epson manual that I'd missed before - "You cannot print or copy when an ink cartridge is expended even if the other cartridges are not expended."

I wish I'd seen that before (I have read the manual, but not word-for-word).

Thanks again,

Alan

Collapse -
Answer
Get Printer Print Blank Pages Help

I use epson printer's also.Had that problem once.It was the paper selection was set to wrong paper thickness.Have to watch that if your printing photo's and change to a page from the net,have to set paper type,in printer setting's.Also there is on mine a lever to adjust thickness for paper and envelope's.Mine's by the out let for paper. You can email epson or just get there down load's at www.epson.com while your there get the one that say's epson web to page .Give's you a tool bar for printing and preview of what your getting ready to print.Ifr you don't use your printer alot,ink head's clog some,run the head cleaner and test .May have to run a couple time's if it's badly clogged.Is your printer a all in one or just print?Some of the just print type are'nt that good anyway.Well hope this helped.www.epson.com just looked,the manual and new downloads are there,started reading the troubleshooter ,you need to do that when your thare.

Link to commercial site deleted by moderator.

Post was last edited on April 5, 2016 5:07 AM PDT

Collapse -
Answer
May be you printer is out of date

I think your printer driver is out of date, you can download it directly from the Epson official website

Link to driversite removed by moderator.

Post was last edited on March 14, 2017 4:52 AM PDT

Collapse -
Answer
Fix Printer that Prints Blank Page

Do a nozzle check, if that's bad then head cleaning
Well you need fully cleared nozzles for ink to be able to pass through them
So after you performed the head clean did the nozzle check improve or you still have no nozzles firing ?

Link to scam support site removed by moderator.

Post was last edited on March 14, 2017 4:53 AM PDT

Collapse -
Still Blank!

In reply to: Fix Printer that Prints Blank Page

I have tried multiple nozzle checks and head cleanings to no avail. The printer was not in use for about 8 months. When I set it up again 2 of the 3 colors were low/empty. I've replaced all 3 colors but the black is still about 3/4 full. Any other suggestions as to how to get more than blank pages??

Collapse -
Re: suggestions

In reply to: Still Blank!

1. Replace the print head
2. Buy another printer.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.