Peripherals forum

Question

by mrmqad / June 10, 2012 11:37 PM PDT

Every once in a while my MFC-5460CN printer will go to the offline status. I don't know why. I have to delete and reinstall it to get it to work again. Is there another way to get a printer back online other that reinstalling it or the driver? Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit.

Discussion is locked
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Printer
by pgc3 / June 11, 2012 1:50 AM PDT

Go to the manufacturer's(Brother) website and see if there is a driver update for your model and OS, make sure, if there is, that you download the 64 bit version since your OS is 64 bit. Good luck!

Collapse -
Thanks for the info but that's not what I asked.
by mrmqad / June 11, 2012 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Printer

I specifically said without reloading drivers. In the printer properties there used to be a setting to set the printer online/offline. Where is this setting in Windows 7?

Collapse -
Actually a great answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2012 5:26 AM PDT

I've lost count how many times I needed to go get and install the latest driver.

You also have the support for your Enterprise Windows to consider. You or your company paid a boatload of cash for that version and it's gold plated support. Time to use that if answers here are working for you.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: printer
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 11, 2012 5:28 AM PDT

First of all: pgc3 suggested updating the driver with the latest version. That's quite something else as reinstalling it everyday. And it might be necessary if the current driver doesn't work to your satisfaction. I can't see why you should object to that.

Then: the contents of the printer driver are fully made by the printer manufacturer and not by Microsoft. So only Brothers tech support can tell you if the setting still is available in the latest 64-bit Windows 7 driver and why they left it out of the version of the driver you use now (you didn't tell which one). It's either a bug or a design decision.

Kees

Collapse -
Not really an objection.
by mrmqad / June 11, 2012 10:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: printer

I wasn't really objecting, it's just that that avenue was already taken and I'm tired of uninstalling and reinstalling the printer every time this happens. But, what you say is that the option that used to be in Windows control panel to make a printer online/offline is actually coming from the Brother printer driver? Can this be true or am I missing something?

Collapse -
Brother
by pgc3 / June 11, 2012 11:26 PM PDT

So, from what you have said you have already been to the Brother website and have downloaded and run the most current drivers for Win 7 64. As Kees stated, it is NOT generally an MS issue, my first call would be to Brother.

Collapse -
Question still not answered
by mrmqad / June 12, 2012 2:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Printer

Regardless of the printer brand, is there a way to bring an offline printer back online in Windows 7 without deleting and reinstalling?

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 12, 2012 4:29 AM PDT
Collapse -
XP not 7
by mrmqad / June 12, 2012 11:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Yes.

This looks like a pix of XP. It's not what I see on Win 7. But thanks anyway.

Collapse -
I took the shot from my Windows 7 machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2012 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: XP not 7

It's cropped to only show a portion of the screen.

Collapse -
Found it
by mrmqad / June 13, 2012 9:55 PM PDT

Did a bit more digging and found this menu on another screen. I'll try this one the next time I have that issue. Thanks for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?