Rant

Printer Ink Scams

OK, so now I am really peeved with the endlessly infuriating games these manufacturers play to beat the hell out of consumers with the printer ink game. I bought the 6700 and am very happy with it as a printer, it works well and love the wireless. Print quality is good. But then it came time to change the ink cartidges that came with it!

With every printer I have bought in the last few years I have found that while I use color occasionally for my own business related stuff about the only other thing that color is used for is the odd school project for my kids. Printing photos on the printer makes no sense at all with the costs of ink, its much cheaper to run photos at Walgreens.

So 90% of my printing is plain old black and white documents. So when the color ink ran out I did not care about renewing those cartridges as I still had plenty of black ink left and I could always get color ones replaced in a month or two if a color project came up. In the meantime I would just replace the black cartridges only. At least thats what I always do.

BUT it looks like HP has come up with a brand new trick to combat that kind of thing and screw us consumers in the process! Here's what happens: As soon as the color ink cartidges run out the printer WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO PRINT AT ALL, even if you have plenty of black ink. So you have no choice but to go and pay for the color ink cartidges and replace them before you can print in black. Am I missing something here? Is there a setting I have not corrected? Or is this just another one of those sneaky rotten tricks manufactureres have been using for years to charge outrageous prices for the ink. I bought the lowest cost color combo ink at 31 dollars discount at Staples. I also bought the extended black ink.That was 64 dollars. With tax, total costs nearly 70 dollars!!!!!!!!!! The printer costs 125. This is such a scam

Any thoughts on the forum?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Printer Ink Scams
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Printer Ink Scams
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Oh Man !

I just went through this myself , it really ticks me off! My solution was to buy a new EL- CHEAPO Epson printer for $30.00 and I gave the HP to little sister haha. It's wireless and prints just fine. I like it so much I might buy another one when the ink runs out ......Digger

- Collapse -
I feel your pain

My work printer is the same way. Im in a small office, I have an HP and it doesnt just have black and three colors, ohh no, it has black and 5 colors which run out without me printing anything in color. I dont understand it. I have been told that the colored ink is for "lubrication." Really?

Im looking for a new printer for home use. To save space I need an All in One with a multiloading tray for scanning. Can anyone recommend one that doesnt eat colored ink to make b&w prints?

CNET Forums