Peripherals forum

General discussion

Printer has disappeared from device manager, please help!

Hi,
My Epson Stylus Color 880 printer has disappeared from my device manager. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it, but it doesnt print, message says to check cables, but I see it still isnt in the device manager.
Any ideas for a non advanced computer user?
Thanks,
Sarah

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Printer has disappeared from device manager, please help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Printer has disappeared from device manager, please help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Printer has disappeared from device manager, please help

In reply to: Printer has disappeared from device manager, please help!

Your post didn't reveal how it was connected, the OS in use, if motherboard drivers were reinstalled or the BIOS enabled the USB and printer ports.

I'm in the dark too.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Printer has disappeared from device manager, please help

In reply to: Re: Printer has disappeared from device manager, please help

Sorry, but what does OS stand for?
I uninstalled in the programme in the control panel, and used a CD rom to reinstall the printer.
I use a parallel interface to plug in the printer.
Is this any clearer?
Thanks,
Sarah

Collapse -
OS = Operating System.

In reply to: Re: Printer has disappeared from device manager, please help

Since you noted it is connected to the parallel port, a boot with your DOS diskette and tapping PRINTSCREEN a few times may be a good test to see if it's an OS issue or just a dead cable or printer.

Again, you need to tell if the printer self test works, what lights blink and more.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: OS = Operating System.

In reply to: OS = Operating System.

Sorry its Win98SE
Is my DOS diskette my startup disk?
How do I self test the printer, dont have much about this in the manual?
Thanks,
Sarah

Collapse -
Windows 98 means we can use F8 !

In reply to: Re: OS = Operating System.

Forget the DOS boot disk. Just tap F8 about once a second after you power up. Select the command prompt. After that stops. You should have a C: prompt. Tap printscreen and tell what happens. If nothing, then you may have a dead printer, printer port or cable.

I'll leave you to read your printer manual for the printer self test. Tell what happens. No manual? Go to epson.com and fetch it.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Windows 98 means we can use F8 !

In reply to: Windows 98 means we can use F8 !

The printer self test doesnt work. I remember this problem starting when I switched off the computer and the printer hadnt finished switching off.
I tried PRINTSCREEN, printscreen, but the command is invalid.
Should I just type C:\>PRINTSCREEN
then enter? Sorry, I'm not very DOS literate.
My computer is French, so windows is in French, but I guess MS DOS is universal?
Sarah

Collapse -
Re: Windows 98 means we can use F8 !

In reply to: Re: Windows 98 means we can use F8 !

PRINTSCREEN is a "key" on the keyboard. But since the printer selftest failed, the issue seems to be clear.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.