Computer Help forum

General discussion

Printer Driver Prob

by Marc985 / November 27, 2004 12:05 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Printer Driver Prob
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Printer Driver Prob
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Printer Driver Prob
by Cursorcowboy / November 27, 2004 12:25 AM PST
In reply to: Printer Driver Prob

1. The article [Q324767] explains error messages you may receive should they become missing or damaged, and the repair procedures for extracting the files "Config.nt" and "Autoexec.nt" from the Windows media into the "%SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder". Also, please note the hyperlinks contained in the section "MORE INFORMATION" for additional troubleshooting.

2. Since Windows allocates resources according to its settings and manages devices accordingly, users can change performance options that control how programs use memory, including paging file size, or environment variables - a string consisting of environment information, such as a drive, path, or file name, associated with a symbolic name that can be used by Windows. A user may also use the SET command from the command prompt to define environment variables.

a. Verify that the default items contained in the Config.nt and Autoexec.nt files are present and in the proper order. Example:

dos=high, umb
device=%SystemRoot%\system32\himem.sys
files=40

@echo off
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\mscdexnt.exe
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\redir
lh %SystemRoot%\system32\dosx
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 P330 T3

b. Users can add (new), modify, or remove an environment variable (right-click My Computer, Properties, Advanced, Environment variables) which is established during Setup by some programs, and those by users. Changes are written to the registry (Global Environment Variables) and are usually effective immediately. However, after a change to user environment variables is made, any open software programs should be restarted to force them to read the new values.

3. Running some MS-DOS programs properly might require that you change the system configuration used by the MS-DOS virtual machine, [Microsoft

Collapse -
by Marc985 / November 27, 2004 12:53 AM PST

wow....you lost me within 5 lines of reading that

Collapse -
by Marc985 / November 27, 2004 1:02 AM PST

Also i read the article and I downloaded the program...so what do i type instead of the Cd rom thing that i read

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / November 27, 2004 7:06 AM PST

If you mean the XP_Fix.exe program, their instruction were at that site:

{Quote)

We recommend that you download this file and save it to your desktop or to another location where you can find it. Double click on the file to run it once it's downloaded. If problem reoccurs in the future, simply re-run this program.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.