Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Printer driver issue

by marsdta / February 18, 2008 3:02 AM PST

hello all

recently i upgraded my families computer up to Windows Vista Ultimate ( 32 bit) and all went very smoothly. But one error did ocurr , now vista fails to install the driver for my families hp deskjet 3650 printer. According to some hp reps and their website the driver is built into vista and it should be loaded by its self. But when i plug in the printer to my laptop with vista premium it installed and worked just fine.

my question is is there a way i can copy the driver from my laptop over to there desktop. Or if you know a way or place i can download it (hp reps said there was no place to download the driver and told me it was not there problem but Microsoft). Maybe a generic driver as they only need it for very simple printing.

Or should i just buy them a new printer

mars

Computer Specs:
family Desktop
Gateway 812m, 2gb ram, Vista Ultimate, FX 5200

My laptop is :
HP DV2200 cto, 1.5 gb ram, Vista Premium, Geforce 7200

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Printer driver issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Printer driver issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So How Did You Install It?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: Printer driver issue

...and what shows up in the "Printers" folder now.. At this point, I would start anew.. Turn off the printer and unplug the USB cable from the printer.. Next, open the "Printers" folder and remove/uninstall the printer, then turn restart the computer. After the computer is restarted, then turn on the printer, wait for it to get fully "on", then plug in the USB cable ito the computer.. Vista "should" recognize the printer and automatically install the correct driver..

If it doesn't, it might be possible to manually install the driver assuming that it truly is located on the upgraded "Ultimate" machine.. Examine the driver location for the other computer running "Vista Premium", then see if the same file is located on the "Ultimate" computer.. If it is, then you should be able to manually direct the search for the driver by choosing "Have Disc" during the installation process when you plug in the USB cable and direct the driver search to the correct location.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Still doesnt work
by marsdta / February 18, 2008 6:33 AM PST

thats for the help Grif, i tried your first suggestion and and it did the same thing, after it says that its looking for the driver via windows update it says and error occurred and it fails.

As for the second suggestion where wold the drivers be located? I have looked in the device manager and in the Premium machine it is not even listed yet i can print. and in the ultimate machine it is listed but heres a quetion mark saying that it has not been installed.

I have tried suing the old Xp drivers but he setup would get stuck at it locating the printer

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?