Computer Help forum

General discussion

printer doesn't always print; can't scan to hard drive

by Lynda Costello / March 15, 2008 6:32 AM PDT

Dell E520 w/Vista home preium. Dell all-in-one 966. Sometimes won't print. Can't scan and save to computer. Dell support has had me uninstall and reinstall driver 4+times. Told me wrong printer CD sent with computer. Downloaded per instructions. Didn't work. Dell support took control. Still problem! Have in-home-service contract w/Dell that runs out soon, but can't get it. Help!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: printer doesn't always print; can't scan to hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: printer doesn't always print; can't scan to hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it is under warranty
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 15, 2008 7:11 AM PDT

then it is Dell's problem.

If anyone here offers solutions that break it further, that may invalidate the warranty.

Ask Dell what they are going to do to fix the problem.

Mark

Collapse -
getting in-home service
by Lynda Costello / March 16, 2008 2:04 AM PDT

I have been on-line w/Dell techs since November. They have given me directions re: uninstall and then reinstall and they have taken control of the computer to correct to do same thing. I have been told no need to have in-home repair. But it's the same thing over and over. Calling Dell gets same old same old.
It is under warranty but that is fast running out.

Collapse -
It's now up to Dell
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 16, 2008 5:30 AM PDT

I understand your frustration, but as I see it from what you have said this is a Dell product that is defective and does not perform as they stated it would when they sold it to you.

Time now to get official and submit a written complaint, detailing the problem and the steps that Dell has taken to attempt to rectify it, and the continuing failure by them to do so. Under the terms of the warranty the product is defective and is not fit for purpose. It is now for them to replace it or repair it to your satisfaction.

In my country, the UK, we have a law called the Trade Description Act and we have Trading Standards Offices in all major cities and towns. If you have similar in your country perhaps a phone call to them may help you clarify your rights.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
In-home Dell service re: printer/scanner
by Lynda Costello / April 4, 2008 2:47 AM PDT
In reply to: It's now up to Dell

Dell has "assisted" remotely, e-mailed directions which I have followed, "fixed" problem remotely but fix is only temporary.How do you get Dell to do in-home repair, when that is part of the purchase contract? My attempts via Dell Support online to schedule service keep going back to on-line assistance only. Calling Dell gets same result. Any suggestions other than writing to corporate headquarters?
Thank you for your support!
Lynda

Collapse -
I have a link to this for the USA
by PudgyOne / April 4, 2008 3:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
I also forgot to mention
by PudgyOne / April 4, 2008 3:13 AM PDT

If you have in home service, you should have some type of paperwork at your residence. It should include a number to call for in home service.

Rick

Collapse -
I have a solution for you.
by PudgyOne / March 16, 2008 9:26 AM PDT

What happens is that some people plug in the printer too soon. Windows installs the wrong drivers and then you have problems with communicating, scanning and printing between the computer and the printer. Follow the instructions below and everything should work.

How are you connected to the printer? wired of wireless?

If wired, disconnect your printer. Go to start/programs/Dell printers and un-install your printer.

Restart your computer.

Now go to Drivers and downloads/select product/printers/select your printer. Download drivers, Utilities, firmware and Patches.

Install your printer. You'll be prompted when to connect it.

Install and patches next. Then the Utilities and firmware.

If wireless, fix your network first.

Update the firmware in your wireless router. Manufacturer's website, make & Model needed.

Broadcast SSID(You may want to change this to make it easier to connect)

Use WPA security

Mixed b and g mode(n if available)

Use channels 1, 6 or 11. Most devices work better on these channels.

After router is done, now setup your wireless print server/printer.

If wireless printer server is used, Plug USB cable into computer and print server. Insert the print server disk. Choose Network, then choose print server and follow the instructions.

Now setup the printer.

Now go to Drivers and downloads/select product/printers/select your printer. Download drivers, Utilities, firmware and Patches.

Install your printer. Choose Network. Install the drivers.

Install any patches next.

Everything should now work.

Rick

Collapse -
THANK YOU FOR ALL THE RESPONSES
by Lynda Costello / March 25, 2008 7:37 AM PDT

Pudgy One. I followed your directions (except for the driver download because Dell had already put it on my desktop). The 1st time, same problems. Tried again the following day, got a message about the EULA launcher.exe--that Windows will close. I went back and used the restore to date, and started all over again. And for the first time, no problem scanning or printing.
Previously some of the messages were
dsca has toppped working. unalbe to load Jit Compiler (mscorjit.dll)
error loading\3\DLCQtime.dll. Dell-All-In-One not responding. Or printer would say scanning while monitor would say All-in-one not responding. Sometimes it would say scanning but at 5:41 it would be at 1% and at 6:41 it would be at 38%. As you can see, it was all over the place.
Sorry about the delay getting back to you and everyone else who helped, but computer time is limited to when grandkids aren't underfoot.
New question--how does all the install/uninstall of driver affect my computer? Even though it's deleted, does it still take up memory somewhere on my harddrive?
Thank you again. Lynda

Collapse -
Un-install and install
by PudgyOne / March 25, 2008 8:02 AM PDT

Un-install took away the driver/program that was needed to be removed.

Install puts the driver/program back on the computer.

Connecting anything before you try to install the correct drivers, causes Windows to install the wrong drivers. That's why we alway wait for the drivers/program you're trying to install to prompt you when to connect the item to the computer.

Hope that sounded right.

Any questions, please post back.

Remember when scanning using USB connection, Open the Dell All-In-One Center to scan from.

Wireless, if you have it, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

Collapse -
Printer won't always print...
by Papa Echo / March 16, 2008 10:53 PM PDT

Please provide more information. "won't print" or "won't scan" provide helpless information, as we cannot see or touch the printer...
So, how do you print ? Does the print dialogue come up ? Is the correct printer chosen ? Do you have enough ink ? Sometimes the printer is "paused" and you have to go to the printer's properties to "unpaused" it - how to, varies from printer to printer. Any error messages ? Same with scanner - please tell what you do to scan, what happen, what error messages...

We need clues to help you.

Collapse -
info re won't scan
by Lynda Costello / March 29, 2008 9:07 AM PDT

Today when I tried to print computer shut down and then restarted. Printer (only have Dell-all-in-one 966 and Dell Dimension E520 with Vista Home Premium. The cartridges are 3/4 full and the printer was not paused.) The printer made a lot of clacking sounds, as if printing, the monitor showed print was 5% done, when the computer shut down. Then the printer shot out a blank paper, kept making noise for a about 30 seconds, and out came another blank piece of paper. In my reply to Pudgy One I printed most of responses when unable to scan. They varied (Computer on? Printer on/connected? dsca has stopped working. Error loading \3\DLCQtime.dll. Specified module could not be found. Unable to load Jit Compiler. Sometimes printer would say scanning, but Dell-All-In-One per monitor would say printer not responding. (MSCORJIT.dll). Sometimes it would start to scan but after 1 hour and only 38% done, I would jut cancel. Have not tried to scan today. Tomorrow is another day. Enough/too much info? I know what I don't know would fill volumes re: computers, but I'm not as bad as I was.

Collapse -
I forgot to mention
by PudgyOne / March 17, 2008 12:51 AM PDT

Scanning

If using the USB cable, open the Dell All-In-One Center. Click on copying and scanning and use this to scan

If wireless, use the scan button on the printer.

Rick

Collapse -
guess not quite fixed
by Lynda Costello / March 29, 2008 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: I forgot to mention

I have been able to scan using printer keyboard and using dell-all-in-one onscreen, but today when online, I tried to print an picture showing siding and computer shut down and then restarted. So guess still having problems. I am supposed to be able to have in-home service with Dell, but so far no luck getting it. My next step is going to write to them at corporate headquarters before warranty runs out. Thanks for all your help.
I am using usb cable and that has been checked per online Dell tech.

Collapse -
Unplug your printer
by PudgyOne at work / March 29, 2008 1:21 PM PDT
In reply to: guess not quite fixed

Go to Drivers and downloads as mentioned in an earlier post. Download and install the patch, this will remove the printer entirely, since it's Vista, this program needs to remove everything.

Restart your computer. Install the drivers one last time. You'll be prompted to connect it.

You should be ok then.

Rick

Collapse -
printer problem
by Lynda Costello / March 31, 2008 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Unplug your printer

I have stoped the net spooler, deleted the driver, removed all printer software, followed the prompts, restarted and then installed the program WEB32966en which is the printer driver when you have Vista. Have done this multiple times starting in November. The last time was the most successful. It worked for a few days. Tried scanning using all-in-one today. Clicked 'preview' and after 3 minutes, screen on printer stopped showing scanning message and monitor for all-in-one said not responding. So no preview. I am going to write to Dell because this just goes on and on. Thanks for your help. Lynda

Collapse -
Last try
by PudgyOne / March 31, 2008 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: printer problem

Disconnect your printer.

Run the patch. Since you're using Vista, this removes the printer totally.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R166245&SystemID=PRN_ALL_A966&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=11887&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=2&libid=40&fileid=224506

Restart your computer.

Download and install this driver. You have 32 bit Vista, correct?

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R165317&SystemID=PRN_ALL_A966&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=11887&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=2&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=40&fileid=222949

Click to install it. It will prompt you when to connect your printer.

Now that you are connected to the printer, Download the frmware and install it.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R152277&SystemID=PRN_ALL_A966&servicetag=&os=WLH&osl=en&deviceid=11887&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=40&fileid=202777

Now try it and see what you have.

It you have nothing working correctly, then have Dell's on site support come out and fix it.

Rick

Collapse -
Rick, those links
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 31, 2008 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Last try

Could you check those links. When I click them I get a Dell error page.

Many thanks

Mark

Collapse -
Due to the lenght of the url's Thos post was redone.
by PudgyOne / March 31, 2008 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: printer problem

CNET's forum does NOT support long url's so that's why ther above url's don't work.

Last try.

Disconnect your printer.

Run the patch. Since you're using Vista, this removes the printer totally.

patch

Restart your computer.

Download and install this driver. You have 32 bit Vista, correct?

32 bit Vista Driver

Click to install it. It will prompt you when to connect your printer.

Now that you are connected to the printer, Download the firmware and install it.

firmware for 966

Now try it and see what you have.

It you have nothing working correctly, then have Dell's on site support come out and fix it.

Rick

Thanks, Mark.

Collapse -
Dell in-home service
by Lynda Costello / April 5, 2008 8:52 AM PDT

Called # on packing slip. Spoke w/customer care, transferred to tech support, to desktop to printer support. Spoke w/Vishnu then Deepak, Vishnu's mgr. After over 90 minutes of telling everyone the problem from start to finish, the result is someone with the "highest" authority will call Monday. It seems no one has the authority to request in-home service or actually know how to get it. But they will try to solve the problem etc. And for the 2nd time I was told printer was out of warranty. I told them as they could see by order# that printer, computer etc. were bought at the same time, less than a year ago and that could not be right. And for the 2nd time, "Don't worry." Yes, it is under warranty. Now to write down all the highlights and send it to Michael Dell, CEO. Don't see any other recourse.
Guess I sound a little grumpy. I am! But thanks for everyone's time and advice.
Lynda

Collapse -
online security
by Lynda Costello / August 8, 2008 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Dell in-home service

Back again for more help. I am going w/Fios for my computer. Security has not been a problem w/AOL dialup. But if I get security w/Fios I have to remove all security on my computer before installation or it could cause problems with the Fios security package. Am now wondering if it makes sense to keep current AOL w/security along w/security already on computer and get FIOS w/out their add-on security. Has anyone had a similar quandry?
This forum is wonderful for someone like me.
Thanks
Lynda

Collapse -
I'll tell you like I see it.
by PudgyOne / August 9, 2008 1:43 AM PDT
In reply to: online security

I used to have CompuServe, sister company of AOL. I had dialup for my first 2 years(contract). During that time I used my own virus protection(Avast) and I used my own firewall(Zone Alarm). I also had some other tools on my computer but don't remember the other programs that hekped keep spyware and malware from my computer.

I now am using Verizon DSL. I do NOT use their security. I use my own. Programs I am currently using(FREE Versions)...

Avast 4.8 Home Edition Virus Protection(FREE)

C W Shredder
Spybot Search & Destroy
Super AntiSpyware FREE Edition
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Spyware Blaster
Hosts File

Zone Alarm for FREE Firewall. If you have Vista, the firewall in Vista should be good enough.

These can all be found if you Google them. I have my own security and do NOT have any problems with Viruses, Malware and such. I can even still communicate with my printer.

Rick

Collapse -
internet security
by Lynda Costello / August 12, 2008 12:23 AM PDT

Once again, thanks for advice. You guys are great!
Lynda

Collapse -
Dell-all-one that wouldn't scan
by Lynda Costello / July 19, 2008 4:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Unplug your printer

Thanks to Rick, PudgyOne and everyone else who offered advice. I wrote to Michael Dell because could not get anyone to authorize home service re: scanning problem. A few weeks later, another call from Dell on-line help. And this time it worked! Sriram promised the problem would be fixed before he got off the phone. He had me do all of the previous steps, and when he saw how long a scan took, he asked me if anyone had gone into the registry and changed the name. They hadn't. He talked me through it. No more problems.
Lynda

Collapse -
Glad you got it straightened out
by PudgyOne / July 19, 2008 5:19 AM PDT

Thanks for posting back.

Rick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?