PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Printer changing ports!

by arkyduck / November 16, 2004 10:51 AM PST

I have a Dell 4400 running Windows XP. Everything has been cool for the past year. Last week I installed SP2 and now the printer can't remember what port it should use. I have an HP 940c and when I print from the internet I get a warning that the printer can't be found. When I go to printer properties it shows the printer port has moved from LPT1 to LPT3. When I change the port back to 1 it prints with no problem. When I try to print from Word, I get the same message and have to go back to properties and change the port back to LPT3. How can I make the printer use one port for all programs? Is this something that SP2 caused? Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Printer changing ports!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Printer changing ports!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Pure WAG remove the printer
by Ray Harinec / November 16, 2004 12:34 PM PST

and reinstall it.

Collapse -
Re: Pure WAG remove the printer
by arkyduck / November 18, 2004 7:05 AM PST

OK did that! Re loaded printer software. Tried printer and everything OK. Shut down PC and re booted and have same problem. Very confusing!

Collapse -
Did you go to Device Manager while in Safe Mode??
by Ray Harinec / November 18, 2004 10:46 AM PST

Do that to see if there is more than one printer driver or printer installed [safe mode only way to see that]. If there are mutiple entries remove them all and then reboot and install the printer drivers again. If the intent is to install the the software with the printer not connected to the system, you can unplug it with power on if USB. For parallel port turn power off as the way to reboot, disconnect printer while power is off.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.