General discussion

Printer and scanner don't work after OS X upgrade

Hello:

A few days ago I finally upgraded my iMac G4 (Flatpanel) from 10.4.9 to 10.4.11. I had not printed or scanned anything since then, but today I needed to do both, and they don't work. I think it has something to do with the upgrade because they were working just fine before that.

The printer is an Epson Stylus 777i
The Scanner is an Epson Perfection 640U

What could have changed, and how can I get my Mac and peripherals to work together again?

Thanks in advance for your help. Happy

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Printer and scanner don't work after OS X upgrade
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Printer and scanner don't work after OS X upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
What could have changed?

Drivers not working in 10.4.11 would do as a starting point.

That Epson printer is moving into the vintage realm but obviously yours has managed to keep going despite being unsupported by Epson.
Epson only offers drivers for this printer up to, and including, System 9 (Pre OS X)

Try removing the printer from the print list and then going through the Add a Printer routine.

The scanner is still supported but if you have no success with reinstalling the drivers that you have, try connecting the scanner and launching Image Capture. See if you can scan from there.
Alternatively, launch Preview and select File > Import from Scanner.

P

- Collapse -
Thanks for your reply

I see. Yes, I was also thinking that the drivers might have gone missing, but had no clue what to do. I'll try your suggestions.
And, yes, my printer is "ancient" - bought it together with my iMac Ruby. Dear Ruby's display developed a problem a few years ago, so I moved on to my current G4. Happy

Thanks for your help. Happy

- Collapse -
Given that the printer is not working right now,

try deleting the printer from the printer list and adding it back.
Power the printer off and back on before you try.
Check all USB connections are tight. Unplug and then reconnect.

On the scanner front, did you try the Preview method?

P

CNET Forums

Forum Info