Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

printer and external HD to wireless router?

greetings!

i would like to hook up my printer and external HD to a wireless router of some sorts. i currently have wireless internet via a cheapy 4 port adsl modem/router. but i dont think its possible to use this device. the only computer involved in my sony vaio laptop which has both wi-fi and bluetooth. so maybe a bluetooth solution would be better?

my setup:

sony vaio laptop (wifi b/g & bluetooth)
hp printer (usb connector only)
maxotor external HD (usb/firewire connectors)
comtrend wireless modem/router (4 network ports)
------------------------

i am very new to wireless/networking, so any and all comments/suggestions are very much appreciated.

thanks!

paul

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: printer and external HD to wireless router?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: printer and external HD to wireless router?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Printer, may be not...

In reply to: printer and external HD to wireless router?

First your printer should be conected to a printer server (unless your printer is network ready, have a network card)

You can connect your External HD to the router, using either USB/Firewire/RJ45 and share it... (I don't think your HD is wireless)

I don't think bluetooth will work for what you need.

Collapse -
no to bluetooth...

In reply to: Printer, may be not...

my printer is not wireless, so i need to have a print server. i have seen some wireless routers that have them built in. but the hard drive... it only has usb or firewire connectors, how can i connect it with a wireless router? the majority of them only have 1 usb connector. can i get a cable converter???

Collapse -
USB/Bluetooth adapter?

In reply to: no to bluetooth...

Don?t know if this would help, but they make USB/Bluetooth adapters that allow you to connect any USB capable device to a Bluetooth network (7 devices can connect at the same time).
BUT... its only USB 1.1 speed.

Collapse -
Bluetooth no.. but network options are available

In reply to: no to bluetooth...

Linksys makes a network storage adapter that you can plug at least two hard disk behind and hook it on to the network. Other vendors make similar products. If you put a wireless adapter in the internet port of this device and hard code its ip address you can probably get your disk setup wireless. if not then you can hook it into your hub unit which I assume is wireless and you can still map drives for wireless computers as well any device hardwired to the hub, but defintely don't go bluetooth. The end devices (printers/hard drives) won't have adapters and even if they did you probably wouldn't be very happy with the through put compared to wireless internet and hardwired internet connections.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.