General discussion

Printer advice

Hi everyone, I'm looking for a new printer for my home. I have an old HP psc 950 and the scanner doesn't work and anyway the printing quality never was excellent. I am the editor of my high school's magazine so I'm regularly printing dummies and image stuff to see it in paper and for corrections, the thing is that I've been searching at the local stores for printers and found the Epson Stylus CX9400F bt doesn't have any reviews so I don't know if it's agood choice. Also I found the Canon Pixma MX700 but a I don't have any experiences or heard stories about Canon Printers and there's the HP OfficeJet 6310 but it says that the printing is mediocre so I'm not very convinced. I would like to have opinions from other users of great printers for this kind of stuff (printing magazines, photos, inDesign, and not only the office stuff like graphics, text or whatever), thanks for the posts! Hoping to have a great printer -Pacu

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Printer advice
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Printer advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Advice on Printers

I used to like Canon Printers because of the ink canisters was one for each color. I am looking at the Lexmark X6575 Professional All-In-One right now. Because, when I went to Windows Professional x64 bit OS. My Canon scanner, HP Photosmart 1000 does not have any supporting drivers for them and probably won't have. I read the specs. on this Printer and like what I see. Right now I use a duel-boot system so I can use them, but getting tired of this. Don't know if this helps.

- Collapse -
Canon over Epson

I would go with the Canon brand over Epson. Epson cartridges have gotten smaller over the years and Canon has stayed pretty close to the same. Cost per page for the Canon is cheaper than Epson.

I own both the Pixma MP 530 and MP 830, love both of them. So out of the ones you are looking at go for the MX700 You might want to look at the MP970 if you want really good graphics.

- Collapse -
Color ink all-in-ones

are always more trouble prone than separate function devices, no matter which brand. If you have the space, buy a b/w laser copier/fax if you need it AND a color ink printer. Stay away from color laser because you'll go broke from the cost of replacement toners and have to drop out of school.

- Collapse -
IMHO....

Word of advice, stay away from Epson. While they output great, they tend to run into problems far too quickly plus ink cost is too much. Look into HP and Canon offerings. Lexmark does good too, but pick a higher end model. If possible, get a "hands on" experience visit the office outlets, etc., to see them in action. You may want to go into a laserjet vs inkjet as color quality is comparable. While it may cost more to buy one it does cost less to run it. Its very important that it be supported by the OS, so if Vista is in the computer's future, take that into acct..

tada -----Willy Happy

CNET Forums