Cameras forum

General discussion

Print size??...

by luvskyy / November 10, 2005 9:47 AM PST

I don't know whether other country is the same, I'm from South East Asia. Usually we print photos at shops in the size of 4 Rs(6 inch X 4 inch). Recently, I only know that when take a picture, it is in the size of 6 inch X 4.5 inch.. Why is it so??.. I thought camera takes photo exactly the print size(when resize). Is it normal or only me who experience it?.. thanks for information given...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Print size??...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Print size??...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re print sizes...
by Papa Echo / November 10, 2005 10:59 AM PST
In reply to: Print size??...

So, when you received back the photos from the shop, half the side you or your head (or someone else's) is cropped depending on the photo's orientation ) ? Have you asked at the shop ? The problem may be due to the photo printer (mostly automatic there days) begin adjusted for 35mm negative film of size 36mm X 24mm, same aspect ratio of 1.5 as the "usual" 4R or 6 X 4 prints. Perhaps with cameras using a different film format, or maybe a digital camera, the aspect ratio is different, as in your case, where the photo prints 6 X 4.5, the aspect ratio is 1.33, i.e. having a different "foot print", so the 6X4 printing paper does not fit ( like fitting a square inside rectangle). Perhaps the shop should make some adjustments at the photo printer, or use printing paper with the correct aspect ratio ? Also, perhaps someone can verify that the "film" or the (CCD ?) of a digital camera has a different aspect ratio from that that of 35mm negative film ?

Collapse -
Print 6 x 4
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / November 10, 2005 11:48 AM PST

The 6 x 4 print paper was designed for 35mm film.

35mm film has an aspect ratio of 3 x 2
If you make the longest side 6 inches, the shorter side will be 4 inches.

Most digital cameras use an aspect ratio of 4 x 3
If you make the longest side 6 inches, the shorter side will be 4.5 inches.

If you send a digital camera photo file to a print shop and ask for 6 x 4 inch prints, they will remove 0.5 inches of the photo. Usually they will remove 0.25 inch from the top and bottom.

Collapse -
The camera does not set a size. It captures pixels in a
by Kiddpeat / November 10, 2005 12:16 PM PST

rectangular shape. Some cameras have pixel dimensions that match a 4x6 size, and some do not. My camera does, and I have also worked with images in Photoshop to get proportions set to exactly 4x6. When I get photos printed as borderless, the cropping you describe occurs except that mine crop on all four sides. That means the image is being enlarged for borderless printing even though it is the correct size.

I've found that asking for borders on my prints is the only way to stop this cropping. Borders force the printer to put the entire image inside the 4x6 area. I've also noticed that Costco has two printing options which will solve this problem, but you need software and knowledge to prepare photos to use their options.

Collapse -
by luvskyy / November 10, 2005 7:04 PM PST

Thanks. So I assume from now onwards I have to crop myself or they will crop for me.. Thanks for the many help...

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?