Computer Help forum

General discussion

Print Screen

How to make a print screen in windows xp professional SP2? Before I was doing it with the paint program, but now I cann't find the paint program in my system. Sorry for the very newbie question.

P.S I'm using the classic view of windows.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Print Screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Print Screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Classic view. . .

In reply to: Print Screen

It should be in Start, Programs, Accessories. If it's not, open Control Panel, Add/Remove, Add/Remove Windows Components (on the left). On the Accessories and Utilities, click Details, on Accessories click Details, make sure Paint is selected and if not, check it and install it. If it's already checked, close everything and open Explorer, go here C:\WINDOWS\System32 and find mspaint.exe. Create a shortcut.

Collapse -
Print Screen

In reply to: Classic view. . .

Thank you coryphaeus for your replay, there is no paint in start menu/Porograms/Accessories. And It's not checked in the windowws components dialogue window. I checked it and tried to install it but it requires inserting the windows installation disk which I dont have it anfortunately. Is there is any alternative ways to install it without having the windows compact disk. Thanks again.

Collapse -
It's disguised as

pbrush.exe. Perhaps you overlooked it? Enter pbrush.exe in the run dialog box just to be sure. Although if it's not listed in the add/remove windows components, I guess it somehow got removed. Can you borrow a disk? Otherwise I think you might be able to purchase it online.

Collapse -
paint program

In reply to: It's disguised as

I made a search for pbrush.exe but I couldn't find it. It doesn't exist on my computer. As you said some how it got removed. I don't wont to buy the disk just for paint program. So, please If there is any way to fix it I would appreciate the help.

Collapse -
print screen-paint

In reply to: Classic view. . .

after i press print screen i click start,run,enter mspaint,ok and you are there.

Collapse -
Another possibility

If what you are wanting to do is to capture what you see on your screen or even parts of it, you might consider a capture program such as SnagIt. The following is a CNet Link
http://shopper-search.cnet.com/search?qt=techsmith&subj=1606657&part=google-cnet&tag=

I have been using this program for several years and find it indispensable. Just yesterday I wanted to send info on a spreadsheet via email but not knowing whether the recipient had excell I saved it in htm format and then used snagit to capture it and create a jpeg image which is easy to send as an attachment.
Also this program allows you capture more than just what you see on the screen but whatever is in the scrollable window. Plus I have captured images that just flash on the screen for a second or two.

Collapse -
Free one !

In reply to: Another possibility

Thank you jayfin for your great link and information. But at this time I'm looking for a free program with the same or less capabilites.

Collapse -
Solution to both problems...

In reply to: Free one !

My favorite free one is Gadwin PrintScreen, which can capture a screenshot in a variety of formats and qualities and automatically save, print, or e-mail to any location. My second choice and old favorite is ScreenHunter, which is just as reliable but not quite as advanced.

As to MS Paint, it should be located in C:\WINDOWS\system32 under the name mspaint.exe. If it's not there, go Start->Add/Remove Programs, select Add/Remove Windows Components from the left-hand side, double-click Accessories and Utilities, double-click Accessories, place a check next to Paint, and OK your way out.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Paint Program

In reply to: Solution to both problems...

Thank you vey munch for your great explanation and fantastic suggestions. I'll try to download Padwin Print Screen and use it. As for windows Paint, I already tried to do what you suggested. But the problem is I don't have the windows Installation disk wich is required for the proccess.

Thanks agin and have a great time,

Collapse -
And an alternative...

In reply to: Paint Program

Since you've misplaced your Windows CD, I'd contact the manufacturer of your PC and/or Microsoft (depending if it was OEM or Retail version) and see if you can get a replacement. If something happens, you'll need that CD.

Until then, I'd like to suggest Picasa and Gimp as 2 free picture editors that can be substitutes for MS Paint. They're quite powerful, and actually superior to the program you lost.

Enjoy.
John

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you, You've been icnredibly helpful...

In reply to: And an alternative...

Collapse -
Thank you for the wonderful suggestion!

In reply to: Solution to both problems...

I appreciate you posting this message.

It was more useful to me than "paint" ever had been and doesn't take forever to open like Paint Shop Pro (not a bad idea, but my heck it takes forever when you want a QUICK screen shot...)

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

~atheria

Collapse -
Doesn't anybody know Hardcopy ?

This is the best printscreen facility I ever came across. The programme has a lot of additional functions which I have never explored.

Hardcopy is free but after a while you are invited to register for a nominal fee. You can comply or ignore the message.

Collapse -
XP Printscreen solution --THE BEST for FREE

Gadwin's Printscreen (now at version 3.0, but I am using 2.6) is the easiest, most flexible printscreen utility I have used in 30+ years of working on computers. It is FREE for individual users. It provides a choice of source (entire desktop, active window, rectangle window you set, etc.) and choice of destination (select printer, file, clipboard) with a preview window and auto-file naming if you choose the file option. You can set the keyboard shortcut (I use the print screen key, but you can use any keyboard combination you want) and you can have it run automatically at bootup so it is always available.
A real winner. Go to www.gadwin.com/download.

Collapse -
It should be here

start>explore>c:\i386 mspaint. It wasn't a default component in sp2. copy, paste wherever you want or create shortcut. I had to do this also.

Collapse -
Unfortunately Not !

In reply to: It should be here

It's not there. I know it sounds weird, And worst of all, I cann't find i386 folder. I don't know what's wrong with my system.

Collapse -
Looking for Windows componets

In reply to: Unfortunately Not !

I know just what you mean. My computer came preloaded and I was to make recovery disks after I loaded up what I wanted, etc. Well, more times than I can count I am told to open a certain program in Windows and it just isn't there. Of course, it is not on the recovery disks because I don't believe the full Windows XP SP2 was ever loaded on the computer in the first place. Microsoft won't let me use my son-in-law's CD to find them so I am stuck without a component that I know I should have. Of course, both the computer manufacturer and Microsoft keep shifting blame to the other party. Having built and loaded my own computers until about a year ago, I find this most frustrating. Especially since there is so much junk I don't want or need and can't seem to get rid of. The computer industry has it made!

Collapse -
i386 folder in XP SP2

In reply to: Unfortunately Not !

I have XP SP2 which DID come with MSPaint as a default program that is located in my Windows\System32 folder. As for the i386 folder, it's located at C:\Windows\i386. Try looking there. I understand not having the Windows disk as my computer (bought new) didn't come with one either...has nothing to do with "losing it". Good luck.

Collapse -
And another FREE print screen software...

Collapse -
I'll use your's all the time...

In reply to: And another FREE print screen software...

Thank you very much for the great link, and have a great time.

Collapse -
Paint not Needed

Just remember this: when you mash the Print Screen button it just puts a copy on the clipboard. At that point you can use many programs to paste it in (image editors, WORD, WordPad, etc). As some of the other replies suggested, there are many freebie image editors that work well. (Picasa, GIMP, Serif PhotoPlus, Pixia, Photo Filtre, Ultimate Paint)

Try these URL's for additional free image editors:

http://www.gh-gold.co.uk/imgeditors.php

http://www.freebyte.com/graphicprograms/

Good luck

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you for great information and links

In reply to: Paint not Needed

Collapse -
Print Screen-MSPaint-Etc...

Here's a link to the most popular image viewer/editor:
www.irfanview.com/ - Irfanview.

If you advise your email, I will send you the MSpaint program and another utility I use for screen capture - printkey [the new version is shareware but I have an older version that's free]
Good luck in what ever you choose.
JT

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: Print Screen-MSPaint-Etc...

Thank you for your response. Here's my adress ( biruot.wahab@student.vcc.ca). And looking forward getting programs.

Have a wonderful time.

Collapse -
PRINT SCREEN

If all you want to do is Screen Capture, do a search on a freeware program called "PRINTKEY 2000". You will love it. You press the Print Screen key on the keyboard, and then click on "PRINT".

M. Freeman

Collapse -
Print Screen --Free program

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you for the great link

In reply to: Print Screen --Free program

Collapse -
Print screen button

In reply to: (NT) Thank you for the great link

You do not need any new programs, if you hold the Alt. button down as you push the print screen button and then open a word processing program, Word or notepad, etc. then hold down the crt.button and push V button it will paste your screen to the word doc. and then you can print it out. All this is already on your computer.

Collapse -
PRINT SCREEN

If your inquiring about having the need to use the [print screen] function you might try this. On the page you want to print, left click the mouse button, tap the print screen button on your keyboard, open "word", click the file tab, click new, and when the blank document opens put the mouse pointer on the blank document right click and click paste.

That should work if as I said you are simply wanting to print whatever is on your screen.

Collapse -
Print a LONG Screen

In reply to: PRINT SCREEN

I know that this is not exactly the point of this subject, but it is somewhat similar.
How do I print a page that is longer than the screen? For example, a page that has to be scrolled down to see its entire contents.
I am NOT referring to a long page on a web site, which I know I can highlight first, and then print.
I am referring, in particular, to the left side or the right side of the Windows Explorer ''directory'' or ''folders'' or ''files'' pages, which are much longer than one screen.
Is there a way that I can print those long lists of folders, or program files, or data files that are two or three screens in length?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.